Struggling to make Tapered Steel Posts and Beams

BoDay1

Hi,

I'm drawing an industrial building that is supported by tapered steel posts and beams.

I'm struggling to make the steel components and looking for some advice.

What I have done so far for the exterior of the building is to create a wall type that only has an exterior surface and minimal framing.  I messed around for a while with the autogenerated framing but could only make steel studs with parallel sides.  So I then deleted all the framing and made interior walls to serve as my steel members.  I can get the shape/ color as I want them but they are hollow which looks a little funny from some angles in 3d.

I also messed around with tapered columns but couldn't modify the amount of taper or which sides tapered so I gave up there.

It was also a bit laborious and I wonder if there is an easier way.

I'm attaching a couple screen shots of the inside of the project as well as the plan. 

Tapered Walls 1.png

Tapered walls2.png

10th St Existing.plan

If you had Chief Premier it has native tools to make such manual objects called "3D Solids".

In Home Designer software you best friend will be Sketch Up online software. They have a free version you can sign for and use online to create custom objects for export , download and then import in to Pro as a symbol using the Sketch Up file name .skp which will import as a symbol into pro to be added to your Library Browser. They also have a library of symbols made by Sketch Up users for searching and download. Just make sure that the objects dimensions are accurately applied while making it so you will only then have to adjust it once imported,

DJP

Thank you both for these ideas.  I will give Sketch Up a try... and also work with the backsplash tool.

I have another project coming up that involves work on a log cabin and I imagine I will have some struggles with some of the logs... perhaps Sketch-up will help with those.

Bo

1 hour ago, BoDay1 said:

Can you tell me more about how you are able to use the backsplash tool to follow an angle like you show in your image?

Check the articles and videos on the Home Designer website, but you are working with a polyline based object -- drag using one of the handles, place breaks etc.

On 11/26/2023 at 1:14 AM, BoDay1 said:

how you are able to use the backsplash tool

Maybe you might post the details of the portal/tapered posts etc the spans and heights, pitch of roof all that  -  and lets see how it can be done - I'm sure its possible;

I'll have a go at it - just for the exercise.

Hi Robborito,

Thanks for your interest and sorry for my slow response.

I've attached the old, original plan set for the steel building so you can see what I'm trying to recreate in Home Designer.

I don't have the exact dimensions for the steel but you can get a basic idea from the attached PDF and maybe work out a method for drawing that.  I will go back to the site pretty soon and take measurements.

What I've done so far was to draw a tapered shape using the Interior Wall tool.  It looks OK but doesn't really seem like the best solution.  The wall tool would be better suited for this if I could create a Wall Type that was only 1-layer.  But I don't know how to do that or if it is possible.  But I did make a wall type with three thin layers and that sort of looks like a single piece of steel. 

But my real struggle was in trying to create the perpendicular steel surface.  The actual thing in the real world is essentially "H" steel that tapers.  The "face" and the "back" are about 8" wide.

I tried taking Solver's advice and using the "Custom Backsplash" tool but could not figure out how he made a backsplash that was angled/ sloped.  I can't tell exactly what he did but his looks pretty better than mine.

Instead of using the backsplash I had some look using the "Roof Plan" tool as that lends itself to being sloped.

Any thoughts you have would be appreciated.

Bo

Steel Building Plan.pdf

16 hours ago, BoDay1 said:

Any thoughts you have would be appreciated.

Well there you go looks like Jo_Ann has a solution for you - she beat me to it.

Although - the method of doing it is not explained for you.

There is still the Sketchup modeling option if you prefer suggested by someone earlier for you.

Good luck.

PS My initial thoughts were to use ceiling plane for the flanges and a new wall type for the web of this tapered portal.

I have started modelling it on that basis and it works OK.

If you're interested, I can post some images and how-to's.

I really appreciate all this help.

I don't think I have much confusion about how to use the Custom Backsplash Tool.  I watched the video suggest by Solver and basically understand that stuff.

I think my problem is that I am making the "wall" incorrectly... I can not place a backsplash on the surface of my wall the way I am attempting this.

I made a simplified version of my problem (with a  single layer wall with a 1" thick main layer) and you can see I have a variety of backsplashes in the snip... but none of them are on the surface I need.

Solver and Jo-Ann, how are you creating the sloped member and what surface are you placing your custom backsplash on?

Bo

Steel Flange.jpg

Steel Column.plan

1 hour ago, BoDay1 said:

I think my problem is that I am making the "wall" incorrectly... I can not place a backsplash on the surface of my wall the way I am attempting this.

A backsplash needs to be drawn against a wall. What I show above is one backsplash for the web (dark color) and one for the flange (light color) -- there is no wall.

You could use a wall, but walls come with all the special properties of walls, which I would not want.

• Upvote 1

Solver, I can't thank you enough.

That is exactly the information that I needed.

It's really an interesting experience learning from you and the others on this forum.  It is so clear that my main difficulty (I have many!) is knowing how to ask the questions and what questions to ask.  All my struggles were with the wall (and roof!) that I was trying to use.  But that simple fact that a custom backsplash can NOT be dragged off of the wall... but it CAN be copied and pasted off of a wall is a game-changer.  Now I see tons of potential for that tool and understand exactly what you have done.  The additional tips on efficiency with the replicate tool are appreciated.

Thanks again for your patience and help,

Long live the "custom backsplash" tool!!

Bo

On 12/3/2023 at 4:25 AM, solver said:

You could use a wall, but walls come with all the special properties of walls, which I would not want.

You are correct there also.

Well, again I have learnt something tonight;

When is a backsplash not a backsplash - only limited by your imagination.

Thanks for the video - it explains the process.

Robborito,

The backsplash tool with cut and past was absolutely the way to go.

I ended up drawing a full span as a single backsplash... then just copy and past.

I put one outside the building in this Snip just so you can see.

Way easier than what I was doing before and the backsplash stool doesn't have all that automatic stuff associated with it in the way walls do.

Cheers!

Backsplash Steel 2.jpg

Backsplash Steel.jpg

I'm trying to create a custom backsplash over my exterior garage wall, but any portion that extends past the edge of the garage doesn't display. Is there something I'm missing, to make this display? The first picture shows the backsplash with it sitting 4' away from the wall. The second shows it positioned against the wall where I need it, but the left edge of the backsplash wont display. Ignore the roof though, I'm working on it. 

wall pic 1.jpg

wall pic 2.jpg

Hi jlliles87,

I'm definitely still inexperienced  with this software.  But what Solver and Jo-ann taught me was that the backsplash tool can be created against a wall (as it needs to be) but then selected, copied, and pasted into space.  Once it is pasted into space it becomes wonderfully manipulateable in both a 3d view and in the plan-view.  But that is as far as my knowledge goes.  If you are working with a backsplash that you have already pasted into space and it is fighting you then perhaps one of the more experienced people on this forum can help you.

I have noticed that when moving various things very close to one another, such as decks close to walls... or parallel walls close to one another.. that the software responds differently if I use the keyboard arrows to "nudge" something versus click-and-drag.  Have you tried using the keyboard arrows to move the backsplash into location?

Bo

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jlliles87 said:

trying to create a custom backsplash over my exterior garage wall

I  would just shape the wall extension in elevation the way you shape the backsplash;

That way it remains as a wall in place;

Its difficult to know if this wall extension you need  is just a wall or something else?

Not enuf info for my wee brain.

• Like 1