Best way to simulate tree shadows?

davidstvz

I'm trying to simulate the shadows cast by trees.

I see that I can make CAD shapes and convert them to countertops which can be thickened as needed (which is probably better than the other CAD conversion options).  Is there a better option?

Maybe I can just find some furniture that happens to be tree shaped and make it really large.

EDIT: ah, I just found generic shapes... they're in the catalogs at the bottom.

That's "default settings -> camera tools -> full camera" ... not "preferences -> render".

Also, 2D plants do not cast shadows for me, even with these settings enabled.

And I do not see 3D trees anywhere.  There are several libraries (for purchase) for 3D plants, but I don't see any indication that they contain trees.

• Downvote 1

Preferences>Render will not give you the shadows. And 2D doesn't cast shadows as there's no dimension to them for a thickness. David is correct in that 3D plants will give you shadows. I just created a couple of tree styles after purchasing the 3D edible plants catalog. Then saved them to my user catalog for future use as needed. Be creative and think a little outside the box.

• Upvote 1

He didn't say it explicitly, but the way DJP answered the question implied that 2D plants can cast shadows whereas it seems they cannot.  And before I upgraded from HD Interiors 2015, I did make large potted plants to simulate trees, so I'm used to thinking outside the box.  I just want to know if there is a proper way to do it before I start hacking :)

The 2D items will just face the camera and won't cast shadows being 2D. Items that can, will, if the "cast shadows" option is checked in renderings. The "Proper way" is whichever method works best for you. There are often multiple ways to achieve the same end result, as you will find with the program.