revlution4

No garage foundation

Thanks in advance for any advice or help! I am designing a home with a walkout basement and have that almost complete. I added the garage which comes off the main floor but there is no foundation. Its as if the garage is attached to the house but "floating" because there is no floor. Where did I make a mistake? should I have built the garage before making the lower level of the house? I'm using Home Designer Suite 2019.

side view.jpg

I see you said Suite, but ...

Answers often depend on which title (Suite, Pro etc) and version (2018, 2019 etc) you are using.

You can help everyone by adding this info to your signature (see mine for an example) by clicking on your user name at the top right of the page, click Account Settings, then Signature on the left.

Doing so makes it always available, and keeps others from having to hunt for it.

And, turn on signature display too.

SIG.thumb.jpg.af17109346e9446432098056e258623d.jpg

----

Resources for self help:

The built in Help System (always a good place to start)

Attach the plan file and I'll take a look. Close Suite first.

Uncheck monolithic slab, and check Walls with footings, change the wall height from 371/2 to the height you want it be.

I'm at 75 mb for the plan size and can't get it to attach. So I compressed the .plan file and it only drops to 26.3 KB, close, I guess I'll have to get rid of a couple things and try again.

I don't have that option unfortunately, I attached a screenshot of what is under "Structure" for the Garage. Am I in the wrong menu? Thanks

Screenshot (1).png

I downloaded the Suite trial and took a look.

Many times when something unexpected happens -- like no slab under the garage, I'll draw in a new plan, a simple structure duplicating the problem plan.

I tried that, and the garage slab generated automatically.

I don't know why there is a problem with your plan. You might send this to support -- maybe they have an idea.

You might try using Edit Area to copy the 1st and 2nd floors into a new plan. Build a blank 2nd floor, and then copy and Paste/Hold Position.

ht1.jpg

Here are some solutions, at least visually to "solve" software shortfalls in the meantime while Tech Support comes up with advice:

DJP

I've encountered this problem before, and I think it's a software bug.

It might sound goofy, but try this:
Open the room dialog, and under the structure tab, look at the floor structure (L).  It is showing as 12 5/8".
Go back to the general tab, and specify it as a deck  (you left it as unspecified). On the structure tab,  the floor structure (L) should change to 8 3/8".
Go back to the room type drop-down, and re-specify it  as a garage.  The structure tab should now show floor structure (L) as 4".

Check to see if you now have a slab.

• Like 1

Thank you Jo_Ann !! That worked, I thought I was going to have to spend some money and upgrade my program! Thanks to all of you for your help its nice to be able to reach out!