Foundation under front porch

TNdreamer

I have Home Designer Suite 2017.  I added a covered front porch to my plan, but when I view it with a camera, it appears the foundation under the porch is missing.  The foundation for the rest of the house is already created.  How do I add the foundation under the porch?

Foundations do not appear by some sort of "Magic", they appear because you told them to appear by way of "Edit - Default Settings - Foundation" being set the way you want and you also have to set Edit - Default Settings - Floor - Structure Tab" the way you intend to build and lastly you set each Room Specification Dialog - Structure Tab to the kind of foundation you want under each room. Once you have done that and you then order a foundation to be built, it then and only then builds.

Ever after all that in most titles you can still just draw the foundation walls manually using the wall tools so to sum up if you have no foundation it is because to did not take the steps necessary to create one.

DJP

• 2 years later...

When it comes to a Porch room, I do not see where these answers are very helpful.

I'm using Home Designer Pro. It has so many options, and if you can't do it in Pro then you probably can't do it in Suite.

It appears that there is no way in the world you can set defaults to make HD create a foundation for a Porch, that is, a foundation that will appear everywhere that it should. Rebuilding the foundation (1st reply) doesn't do squat. Settings Defaults (2nd reply) is a nice idea. Unfortunately for a "Porch" room you cannot define a foundation like you can with most any room interior to the house. The 3rd reply spoke accurately. It is possible to set the defaults for a Porch to have a "Monolithic Slab Foundation." You can see this monolithic slab foundation in 3D views, however it doesn't show up in Floor 0 plan view (the foundation floor) nor any other floor plan. And what if I don't want a monolithic slab? Since I want to give the concrete contractor a complete foundation plan, the only way I can get the Porch foundation to show up in the Foundation floor plan view is to manually draw it (which was the "trump card" presented in the 2nd reply).

Please let me know if I am missing something, but it appears to me that HD does not allow anything but (1) a monolithic slab foundation for a Porch, and (2) and Porch foundations do not appear on the Foundation floor plan view unless you manually draw them. If you post a reply, please make sure you have tried it first.

One of the nice things with this program is that you can build a room the way the program knows how to build it, yet name it what you want it to be called. For example, build it as a "Room Type: Living", yet change the Room Name to "porch" after you uncheck  "use default." That will build it with a framed floor, etc. Change other defaults as needed. Maybe try that, as you didn't mention what the rest of the desired structure was, just the foundation.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Home Designer Suite 2021

I was able to create a foundation under my front porch by drawing an exterior wall that outlines the porch. Then setting the 'Room Specification' for the porch as 'Garage'.  Then I deleted the foundation, then built a new foundation.  A foundation wall was created under the porch and I replaced the exterior wall with a railing.  I had to tweak the floor height of the porch to where I wanted it.