Light Above Cabinet?

bluesparrowllc

I am trying to put lighting above my wall cabinets.  Not in the ceiling but actually resting on top of the cabinet behind the cabinet molding.  I am using the Puck Above Cabinet but I can't see it in the 3d views.  I can see it just fine when it is anywhere except above a cabinet.  I've messed around with it several times but have always given up.  Does anyone have any ideas for me?

Pro should allow you to place lights above or below wall cabinets. Look in the Library Browser under "Architectural - Lighting - Cabinet", there you should find puck above cabinet and puck under cabinet light sources.

Also found under "3D-Lighting" you can add simple light sources (no fixture, just a source of light) that of course has a dialog and can be set at any height or location you desire.

DJP

On 6/3/2018 at 7:38 PM, DavidJPotter said:

Also found under "3D-Lighting" you can add simple light sources (no fixture, just a source of light) that of course has a dialog and can be set at any height or location you desire.

DJP

Hi David,

Where is this found? (3D-Lighting)

I can't locate it.

Thanks Eric - 

Ok, I see how to do that, but once placed (within a room) I can no longer select it, nor see it in any view other than plan. I have all visibility turned on.

It also appears to be having no effect in the scene.

Change its height. It's probably in the cabinet instead of on top.

They are sometimes difficult to select. Use the Shift-Select method. Click the Add Lights tool, then holding Shift, marquee around the light to select it.

Take a close look at the dialog box for added lights (or any light for that matter), there is a checkbox to "Make Visible In Camera Views", otherwise all you see is the light source with nothing else to locate. You can learn a lot by just looking at dialog boxes and their settings.

DJP

59 minutes ago, DavidJPotter said:

Take a close look at the dialog box for added lights (or any light for that matter), there is a checkbox to "Make Visible In Camera Views", otherwise all you see is the light source with nothing else to locate. You can learn a lot by just looking at dialog boxes and their settings.

DJP

Hi David,

I've already made them visible - I can clearly see the red "axes" of the lights, but can't select them or tab to them in camera view. It just cycles between walls, cabinets, etc., but not the light symbol.

Not sure why they wouldn't be visible in elevation views.

41 minutes ago, 4ndrew said:

but can't select them or tab to them in camera view.

There is nothing to be visible. There is no fixture, just an invisible light source.

All you see is the glow.

Why do you want to select in a camera view?

Start a new plan. Draw one room with a roof. Add a light and see how it works.

There is, clearly, a location "axis" in camera view... Eric, do you not believe me? :)

Anyway - how does one go about creating their own "fixture" library object? I want to be able to control/move my lighting from any view. I tried creating a block, which didn't work, and can't find a way to group things.

light-crosshair.jpg

The way I do light sources is to place the first one and get it where I want it, height-wise and then copy-paste them in or on my upper cabinets as needed. It has never occured to me to save them in the library (though there is no good reason not to), I just make them as I need them, they are simple to create and adjust.

DJP

4 hours ago, DavidJPotter said:

What fixtures do you wish to create and save in your Library?

DJP

My first thought was to create a light that can be seen in different views by attaching it to something that was.

However, I'd like to know how to create a library object that includes a light.

This is something that currently cannot be done in Home Designer Pro or Chief Premier. You can make a "Feature Request" for being added at some future time (the list is already very long), or you can just do what the rest of us do and assign light sources on the fly, once you get the hang of it,it can be done quickly. That is the reason I do as I do since one cannot make light emitting symbols in Chief Premier. That is the way it currently is and has been for years.

DJP