Sign in to follow this  
Fidellaty

Saving materials in user catalog

When I add materials shouldn't they be saved in the User Library file? I've added several items and they come up missing. I've found out not to try to see what's in the User Library file....

post-5931-0-43696500-1464488504_thumb.png

post-5931-0-60649200-1464488523_thumb.png

How did you add the materials?

It makes the difference between success and failure, only one method works, all other methods fail, so yeah, it matters a lot. What did you actually do?

DJP

Go to User Catalog, right click, New, Material.  Usually...    I suppose the missing ones I imported and then deleted the original file.  Assuming if they showed up in the library browser, they'd be saved?  So CA decided to allow different options to add materials, but only one method saves to the User Library?  Interesting.

That's to add new Material like it says, you added a catalog file as a material. click Library>import, click on the file, the software will automatically install it.

If you are using a custom texture you MUST save it to a known location on your hard drive and then do not ever move or rename it, if you do the material will loose its connection to the texture file which is probably what happened.

DJP

• Upvote 1

David your right, but take a look at the size of the file. It's 2.63GB  that's a catalog.

Thanks for the info. I have moved some folders. I believe I have them set up now, so I won't need to move again. (I put them in a sync location.) I just did a test and that must have been what happened.

The 2.63GB must be the items I got from the 3D Warehouse and in the beginning I didn't think much about adding large files. Since I am unable to see what is in that folder, I have no way to weed out the large ones. Maybe I should start over? Does anybody know how to see what's in that folder? :)

post-5931-0-54865500-1464651102_thumb.png