Atriums

DimacHomes

I am developing a Duplex home with an Atrium in each dwelling.Each home is a mirror image with a separating wall down the middle. The Atrium is in the centre

An Atrium provides light and air in a home especially in an area adjoining the separating wall in the center of the home.

I have reviewed the entries and discussions with no luck. Perhaps Atriums in other countries do not have roofs or ceilings.On completion of the plan I cannot remove the roof portion over the created atrium without destroying the roof line completely whereby an overhead view of the plan resembles a deflated doughnut.

The plan is attached if you are wishing to review our use of an atrium

Claude DIMAC Homes

Denison Close.plan

What do you want the roof to look like?

To mirror the plan, I'd use Edit Area as David shows in the video, but use Copy, Reflect About the common wall.

If you want an air gap, draw a CAD line parallel to the common wall and reflect about it.

post-171-0-54177800-1444696308_thumb.jpg

post-171-0-64824000-1444696572_thumb.jpg

LawB10,

I used a greenhouse (on the left) and atrium window sections (on the right).

You will find them in the library.

Set them at your desired height.

You must 1st get the roof correct.  Obviously the atrium room is set as 'no roof over this room'.

The walls of the atrium are set as 'high shed gable'.   :)

LawB10,

I used a greenhouse (on the left) and atrium window sections (on the right).

You will find them in the library.

Set them at your desired height.

You must 1st get the roof correct.  Obviously the atrium room is set as 'no roof over this room'.

The walls of the atrium are set as 'high shed gable'.   :)

Oops, I wrote the question wrong, to be specific, how do you get the effect for the roof on the lower right side? It's looks handmade.

My apologies for a slow response. Had wife medical issues to attend to which resulting in hotel living for a week..

Thank you all for your overwhelming responses to my Atrium problem. David Potter, you inclusion of a movie was beyond expectation. It also taught me a couple of techniques. The atrium you created was unfortunately where I got to, whereby the roof planes fell towards the opening and resemble a flattened doughnut. What I am attempting to achieve is the image that "Law 10" produced in the first thumbnail. A regular roof structure with the roof missing over the atriums. The alternative (thumbnail 2) would result in a flood in a rainstorm.  So, Mr Law 10, the question I have for you is, HOW DID YOU MANAGE TO re-invert the roof upward. I defined the Atriums as NO CEILING AND NO ROOF. I then nominated all four (4) wall to the atrium as 'High shed /gable' as stated, including the long dividing walls and that resulted in the roof planes becoming corrupted and No Atrium being developed. I even named each wall as a shed wall, one at a time to see which one caused the problem and tried the BUILD ROOF progressively. It seemed no one in particular caused it.

So my friends, where am i not following your advice?? This lonely Aussie needs you.

Claude

I have reattached the plan rebuilt to David Potter's build methods.

Your plan did not attach, and LawB10 did not post any images to this thread.

Were you referring to this one?

post-171-0-01756800-1445184169_thumb.jpg

I believe that was done with manual roofs. Delete the roof planes that slope down to the atrium, and extend the outer ones up.

You might also try adding a second floor with a single room above the atrium. Make it Open Below and no roof. The auto build roof function may do what you want.

Once again..

Start out by opening the atrium room dbx's and selecting 'no roof over this room'.

Select all atrium walls and open the wall dbx to the roof tab, and select 'high shed' roof, and you can also set-back the overhang to about 76mm.

Since you have Pro, you can now begin re-shaping the roof edges at the atrium walls.  Study your reference guide on how to manipulate the roof planes.

I believe that you will also have to change the pitch on some of the planes, to get them to come together at the same height where they meet on the atrium walls.

Practice and experiment.

post-63-0-26301900-1445192742_thumb.jpg

The fact that you all can do it makes me feel like an idiot. Yep, the thumbnail you sent is precisely what I am endeavoring to achieve!

I guess I'll have to experiment on a couple of simple models until I get the hang of it.

Again thank you all for your advice and guidance.

Claude

Denison Close 3 BD Atrium.plan