high performance walls

chrisinnh

Hello!

I'm a long-time home builder.  As I've rolled through the years, have come to focus on design-build and higher performing assemblies.  Would like to transition more to design and envelope consulting.  Going through a learning curve now with HD.  Glaringly obvious that I'll have to move to the CA platform at some point.  Learning basics for now.

That said, I'm very frustrated ability to draw thick wall and roof assemblies.  Double stud I can define with 2 independent walls.  Exterior insulation isn't too tricky, either.  Rain screens are difficult.  Current problem is the Bonfiglioli Wall.  This is my baseline standard.  I can work around the detail by drawing with 2x8 studs as my built out cavities are 7.25 inches.  But I'm stymied drawing the detail, would like to incorporate into a typicals sheet:

1) cladding

2) rainscreen

3) WRB/ air control layer

4) 2x6 stud

5) 1" xps ripper over face of stud

6) 1x ripper over xps ripper

7) moisture control layer

8) drywall

The best I've been able to do is draw cad lines into a 2x8, but I can't infill each section with appropriate material or coloring.  Am I shooting at the moon here?

Yes, Pro!  Quite stymied.  Best I can do is reasonable.  Text is a problem too.  Zooming in to label a detail results in disproportionate text and arrow sizing.  Better to do this in Sketch-up and import?  Would the function be the same in CA?

Figured I'd begin the learning curve with HD Pro as the skill set should be easily transferable to Premier.  Would make the transition as work demand can support the cost.

Beginning to think HD is pretty light.  The scheduling and CAD detailing in Premier is nonexistent in the former.  And it's pretty basic stuff.  I'm coming from hand drawing and minor use of Sketchup.  Long road.

Yes!  If I zoom in on a wall section to draw a CAD detail, the arrow size is giant!  Text size is adjustable.  But, I can't figure out how to save the zoomed in detail at whatever magnification level.  HD reverts back to the cross section.  At that point, text sizing that I've adjusted when zoomed in, is very small.    Of course, Premier has much broader capability with CAD details,  It'd nice to be able to draw them in HD too.

Goal is to export these to layout as typicals, with enough detail that moisture and air control layers are discernible. 

Maybe try a back-clipped elevation cross section to get the area you want. You can zoom in and label each piece you wish to.Then when you send it to layout to print, use a 3/4" scale or so?

pro has staggered studs for some reason under STRUCTURE tab when you select and open a wall to edit..

Hit HELP for way more info on how it works.

Also go to wall definitions and adding wall layers etc to suit what you want.

There really is a ton of info for software under help..

hard part is finding which command to get help with

Hence why I tell people play around before going straight into modeling your first project.

you need to learn software

On 3/31/2024 at 11:17 PM, chrisinnh said:

Goal is to export these to layout as typicals,

Well on the occasion, I have put my notes on the saved detail scaled window  in the layout.

You can set your print style calculator character height in saved text styles in the default settings....