HDP Cleanup Plan - Best approach???

PQueSprings

First, I know this is a user issue and not so much a software issue.

I've watched all kinds of videos (and will continue to do so), but I seem lack the knowledge of how the program resolves issues. Many of these arise as I change the plan of the remodel, but some just come as I create the plan. I start with the first floor, and work on the basement (foundation) after that. However, there are "disconnects" throughout. I've attached a few examples for reference (keep in mind that I have not spent any time changing the railings/materials/colors (besides an experiment here and there) as I am just trying to get the structure right. So, to the main question: 

What is the best approach to cleaning up the many parts of the plan so it is a clean/usable one? 

Also, as is often the case, prevention is the most efficient approach. If you have an idea as to what I am doing out of order or something else, which is causing my frustrations. please share. 

I'm using HDP 2024

PS Seems like an area in which A.I. may help a lot. :)

HomeDesignerIssues2.jpg

HomeDesignerProIssues.jpg

The way to avoid problems is to have ALL Default Settings and other settings correct before creating the model (.plan file). But that knowledge takes time to obtain. My best advice is to start and end with looking for settings that are "wrong" that cause visual anomalies, fix those and then manually fix the wall polyline and other visual problems. Just start with Default Settings, per floor and then out from there.

DJP

13 minutes ago, PQueSprings said:

but I seem lack the knowledge of how the program resolves issues.

Understand, the program doesn't resolve issues -- you do.

15 minutes ago, PQueSprings said:

What is the best approach to cleaning up the many parts of the plan so it is a clean/usable one? 

Start over :) Sometimes starting over is best. There are so many related settings and new users often make random changes trying to make something work. 

I'll focus on one problem, and probably the easiest to correct. You have walls in the 2nd image that seem to be showing the exterior side on the interior. You have either placed an exterior wall there, or you have changed the materials on those walls. The program doesn't know what type of wall you want, so you need to tell it.

And if you want to work on fixing your plan, go to Edit>Reset to Defaults.

Select All Floors and check all the boxes below.

ht1.thumb.png.7013c70c61ea9390267753e060e6fc43.png

• Upvote 1

To underline Eric's advice the software is preprogrammed to do what it does but that DOES NOT MEAN that it is or will become programmed to support what you wish to do. That you, as Eric said, have to step in and treat the software like you would a sophisticated wrench or other tool. It is a robot that requires YOUR orders and settings to perform.

DJP

Thank you for the timely responses. I do know that the app requires one to tell it what to do. It clearly has a number of "smarts" built into it as well. The issue happens when us novices think we are telling it things (i.e. this is now an interior room because I have connected the walls), and we really are not. Which then requires us to go back and change every (or many) details manually. Classic example is when pulling a roof plane to a vertical wall. HDP should, and often does, snap it to the wall and take care of the siding and shingles connection. Other times, I see the OSB in the rendering (instead of siding) as the roof plane seems to be cutting off a layer of the wall. 

In terms of the doing the "reset do defaults," I'm concerned that it might really screw with the plan. The existing structure (and now the remodel) has many "step-downs" and varying ceiling heights. Obviously, I can save a copy and see what it will do. However, if you happen to read this and you are aware of the answer: will it change ALL rooms to the defauly - including those that I have manually altered to match the structure?

Lastly, I started to follow this post from a few years back regarding Z fighting (just to clean it up): 

"Use "Edit - Edit Area All Floors" command AFTER you first establish a current point at zero Y - Zero X, then once All Floors are selected you use the "Point to Point" move tool to finish the matter. Done properly with the correct command and set up it should be easy to do and in the future, establish your Zero X - Zero Y point to start your new project in plan view."

However, while I can easily tap EDIT > EDIT AREA > EDIT AREA (All floors). I have no idea how to then select all floors to move the plan. Clearly, this not critical as I don't think I'm experiencing the Z fighting issue. Just a comment if you can point me somewhere. 

Thank you again for your assistance. Really appreciated.     

2 hours ago, PQueSprings said:

I have no idea how to then select all floors to move the plan

The Home Designer website is full of articles and videos, and the default search will also search the forum (but you can narrow the focus as I have done) , so it's a good place to start when you have a question.

ht1.thumb.png.87079d42debc990693474c8a6b3206c4.png

When I began learning the program, I drew many simple models to test an idea. It's so quick to do this, and the feedback is immediate -- you see what works and what does not.

Even experienced users have problems where floor and ceiling heights vary.

• Upvote 1

different floor heights and ceiling heights and multiple floors makes for a difficult project.

Remember heights are set from First floor elevation which is the zero.

Lowering some rooms is ok and done in the room dialogue.

Having software build your foundation tends to be best as long as you ensure specs in the dialogue are what you want.

As said above - to learn one has to play with it.

Try creating a 2 room house with each have different floor elevations.

again but different ceiling heights.

Mybe again to see what options you have for roof generation.

Play with foundation variables so you understand what they do.

Create a copy of your existing plan and play with things until you get what you want so you do not ruin original file.

Once you figure it out then apply to original file and save and on to the next task... After a while this all becomes second nature.

There are many ways to do many things and when you find a way that works for you.

To learn this software, you have to play with it and create different designs to learn it.

I find the HELP to be a tremendous resource as it explains a lot.

Also have some knowledge on houses are built also helps a bunch so you know what is possible or not and what is required from say a structural point of view.

I have seen some designs which are impossible to build yet look nice.

Creating a model of existing can be a PAIN but if you design it like it was built tends to be easier; especially when a house has had multiple editions added over the years or very old and made from obsolete material or methods. Then you have to cheat your plan so it is accurate for what you need but may not indiicate how it was built.

Good luck and play with it.

On 10/19/2023 at 9:50 AM, PQueSprings said:

Lastly, I started to follow this post from a few years back regarding Z fighting (just to clean it up): 

Hi - I was curious to see this post you referenced - could you give me a steer towards its location - or the title of the subject (Z Fighting?) so I can search for it please.

Many Thanks,

Jeff.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks again for the input. 

Again, I am not under the impression that this is ChatGPT for building design. My OP was more around that possibility of the app having something that identifies potential errors (since it does it here and there while designing), of which I was unaware.

I actually did do the existing PLAN some time ago. 

HDP is a good app, it just has some weak spots, i.e. floor layers, which Chief handles. This plan has step-downs and differing floor thicknesses throughout, so it's a little tricky and my building knowledge is limited (framed years ago). I've watched many, many help videos and by far the majority are in much simpler applications than what I am trying to accomplish (generally). Of course, that could just be me going about it the wrong way.

Thanks again for responding. Next time I will ask a more specific question. Again, on me. :)