mariodajti

Rail Posts/Newels on Porch

Hello,

I am trying to create a porch with railings and posts and I am having a hard time manually adding the posts to the rail. I literally tried everything. I am new to the program, so I am trying to learn everything as I go along and with watching videos, but I can't find anything on how to manually add a post to a rail. I am using a 3D symbol post, but even if I use posts from the Chief Architect library it still shows the baluster sticking out of the post. I used the "Point to Point Move" tool too and the baluster from the rail is still sticking out. I am using "Turned Barcelone" fence/rail from the Home Designer Core Catalog. Does somebody have any idea on how to manually add the post to the rail? I turned the newel/post option off because even if I turn it on, I want to use my own symbol and I don't want the newel/post to be right next to the baluster.

Answers often depend on which title (Suite, Pro etc) and version (2018, 2019 etc) you are using.

You can help everyone by adding that info to your signature (see below for how to turn them on) by clicking on your user name at the top right of the page, click Account Settings, then Signature on the left.

Doing so makes it always available, and keeps others from having to hunt for it.

And, turn on signature display too.

SIG.thumb.jpg.af17109346e9446432098056e258623d.jpg

----

Resources for self help:

The built in Help System (always a good place to start)

A railing does not know you are adding post manually.

It is a lot easier to place posts (AKA Newels) by way of the "Wall Specification Dialog - Rail Style Tab - Post to Beam" setting. then you vary the spacing of the Posts (aka Newels) by way of the "Input Box" for "Newel Spacing" to add or subtract newels and their spacing one newel to the other.

Eric, above, suggested you share WHAT software and its Version you are using which helps us help you better, since different apps have different capabilities from version to version.

DJP

Maybe you should use the snippit tool to post some jpg images of what you are trying to do.

Check this out to see if it does not help (you really need to post a screen capture image to better communicate your distress please!)

DJP

• Like 1

This is what I am trying to do. I manually added the post/newel, as you can see the baluster is sticking out of the post. I used point to point and still having trouble. Thanks

Post and Rail.PNG

Maybe you should post the plan file.

Thank you, but don’t want to share my plan. Nobody has a clue? I literally tried everything. Just want to add my posts manually without the railing sticking out of the post. 

Without being able to see what you are doing, and HOW you are trying to do it, I can not help.

I agree with Jo_Ann in that in order for ANYONE to help you, you must clearly and openly state what the precise problem is and what you are specifically trying to do. Other than "Control Key-Drag" and "Point to Point Move" and "Transform-Replicate" dialog, there ARE no other methods for locating object precisely other than one's on intention to obtain the exact effect one wishes. Best of success to you but, due to your unwillingness to be forthright, you ARE on you OWN. Your stating that "we just don't understand" is true but it is also irresponsible of you to withhold pertenint information from those who are willing to help. It is YOUR choice, always.

DJP

Please reread my 2 responses above.

Thank you, but I don’t know how more explicit one can be. I am not “unwilling to be forthright” at all. If I didn’t want the help I wouldn’t have come on here seeking it or have posted on two different forums.... I specifically said, I have created a porch. On the porch, I want to manually add newels, (3D Symbols) and add them to my porch. If I turn on newels option, it won’t allow me to use my own post from the user catalog. I would have to use one of theres. Also, when I  just manually add my newel/post to the porch, the baluster from the rails I have chosen to use, sticks out of the post even if I use point to point to lock the newel post in it’s position. I don’t know how to be more clear. That’s the problem I am facing and I am trying to fix that, that’s all. 

https://youtu.be/oGcuoMx9I48

In this video, you see he is manually adding the columns to the porch, I am trying to do the same just I want to add my own post/newel to a porch connected to the railing. 

and my porch has steps. I want to use 4 posts, 2 on the end of the rail, 2 at the beginning of the rail by when you come up the steps. 

I'd try to help, but you don't seem to want to help us by completing your signature. 

In my 2nd post above I provided a clue to what I believe is the problem. Do you not understand?

yes, you said a railing does not know you are adding a post manually. How do I do it so that it does know?

1 minute ago, mariodajti said:

what am I supposed to write in the Signature box? 

The software you are using is the most important thing.

Suite 2019, Pro 2020 etc.

The operating system is also helpful -- Windows 10 or Mac.

Moving walls like this cleans up the foundation.

ht1.thumb.png.ce20d6c1a990de077d054f77f2dce30d.png