Printing to PDF too light

midway22

Wondering if anyone has run into this. Using the default PDF print driver to save a layout with a elevation (in technical view). Looks good in the layout and print preview but when I convert it to PDF the house is too light (actually grey) but the title blocks and the text are appropriate. I have been looking for anyway to darken this, trying other views like regular which also does the same among other things.

Only way I got it to work was to use the print an image option and use the save to PDF which worked but doesn't arrange it on the page properly like the regular print does.

If anyone has seen this let me know!

test.layout

plan.plan

Thanks for the suggestion. I have started messing more with the line weights but its fairly hard to find the correct one. Either I am not adjusting the correct ones or they aren't affecting my view for some reason.

Another odd thing is that on a light elevation drawing, parts of different objects will be heavier line weight. For example my front staircase right side line is dark but the left is light. So not sure how configuration would do that. Almost seems like I have a more fundamental setting wrong.

So it looks like the scaling options in sending an elevation view to the layout is what causes some lines to lighten and not others. If I sent that view to layout but use the "Current screen as Image" option, it will produce a proper pdf copy where all the line weights are the same as the print view. If I use the "Current screen" or the "Entire Plan/View" options that allow for the scale to be selected, the line weights get messed up (weights on the same object are less).

Be interested if anyone has found a way around this as it would be nice to have the scale maintained. Luckily the plan views don't have this problem as they are more important for my project to have scaling maintained.

I haven't found that option in my version. Not exactly sure where you found it though. Odd part is that the floor plan works fine. Its only the exterior elevation views that has inconsistent/low line weights and that is only when you try to print it. Every screen before you print looks fine and isn't till you see the pdf or printed page its grey.

Have a ticket in for it at the moment. 

5 hours ago, midway22 said:

I haven't found that option in my version. Not exactly sure where you found it though. Odd part is that the floor plan works fine. Its only the exterior elevation views that has inconsistent/low line weights and that is only when you try to print it. Every screen before you print looks fine and isn't till you see the pdf or printed page its grey.

I'm having the same problem. I would be interested in the solution to this problem as well.

Thanks David for your time recording that, it answered some questions for me in how some views won't see line weight changes. The line weights though weren't really the problem in this situation.

The issue was with technical vs vector views and the use of scaling. The technical looks fine on the layout and print preview pages but when you actually print it, the line weights are lightened. If you use the vector view, those same line weights come out properly in printing. You have to make sure you use plot lines option which is default with vector view, then it will work (plot lines is not an option in technical illustration). Technical illustration will work if you use the image option when sending to layout but that doesn't allow for a set scale

Thanks again for your help!

• Upvote 1

On 1/26/2017 at 2:34 AM, midway22 said:

What about this little button - spoken of earlier by others?

Screen Shot 2017-01-29 at 4.25.34 PM.png

Yeah I have that option but it did not affect the line weights I was having problems with. Not sure which views or scenarios that affects. That is next on my reading list here

In my last post I talked through what fixed it for me: vector vs technical illustration views

• 4 years later...

Should this same thing happen when in plan view, go to FILE/PRINT/DRAWING SHEET SETUP/

and look for advanced line weight options. the option for checkbox for use 1 for line weights can screw you up.  

Nothing you fo in Display Options will make any changes to line weights.