Building Adobe style walls, multiple issues

Acropolis

Great program if you are building with kindling sticks, but if your intent is anywhere else in the world, this program has big faults that are difficult to over come.

First - walls, I have 'made the definitions of the construction typical of south west, and that is European and basically any South American construction technique.

Problem 1 - I have to make the walls for each plan, takes hours, even though the material list is saved. Issue - cannot transfer walls to a new plan, if you know how, please advise.

Problem 2 - How do I get the partial second floor walls, and the "gable" walls to build properly as is shown in this photo?  Note I have searched the forum and user detail for days, and there must be something that is happening when I define the walls that messes 'stick build programming'. That then leads into porch building - seems crazy, why doesnt a roof build over four columns and a beam tied to the wall??? 

adobe from pz.jpg

When you are new many things seem hard. This is due to your needing to really learn the software you have and not due to any short comings it has.

You have not stated what software you are using, Home Designer has several differing titles within the current version (2017). Each of these applications have differing abilities, so without knowing what you have, a precise answer to your questions is uncertain.

Asto your question #2 again I must need to know what software application you have in order to answer that question. There are several ways to accomplish what you want done, it all comes down to what you have. The attached images were done about 16 years ago. None of them required a curved front but I have done those as well.

DJP

925.jpg

L4a.jpg

L41.jpg

Everything DJP and Solver said is relevant.  
Add your program title AND it's version in your signature, if you expect to get help.
You also need to upload your plan, in order to get specific help.

You have chosen to build a complicated roof for a newbie.   Some of it will probably have to be modeled in Sketchup and imported into the plan.

Problem 1-.   Ever heard of copy/paste???

Lastly, if you are wanting software that does flips, then you need to upgrade to Chief Premier (used by architects and building contractors).   
It is pricey, and has an extensive learning curve.

Filled out profile with HOME DESIGNER PRO 2017  "should have been part of the sign up process", really.

JoAnn, Ever heard of Bill Gates?  All his software is self teachable, even Apple, once you go Mac you never go back, Photoshop self taught before there were forums.

so PLZ.

Never heard of paraphet wall, did not come up in multiples of searches, and I expect if you search "walls dont transfer over to new plan", something  in the base CA s/w help section would come up to guide someone

Adding on to this front porch, four columns, you position a header beam, what does a builder do next???

The software needs to respond same way.  Leave it open or make a roof and to that point, BUILD>ROOF> need to make it easier, should work, just like stick building is.

David, thank you, I will study in detail over next few days...

on to one of the other issues mr SOLVER point about saving walls to a template,

I followed the instructions in CA>>>Creating and Using a Plan Style Template

open new plan, default and set up the walls, windows, what ever else,

BUT! it says

To save a template

1. Select File> Templates> Save Plan as Template SaveTemplate.png?1467754396.

now on the base  page of the s/w WHERE??? can I find that option

IMG_5456.JPG

Joann - thanks for the ref to sketch up, an arch friend of mine recommended it over this s/w months back to do simple stuff then move to cad.

I have to tell you in less that 5 minutes from down load a 30 day trial start using sketch up, I had the pic imported and all the major lines drawn of the front facade.

Point is easy to use - logical and where there are instructions what they tell you do is what is in the software on your computer.

I was thinking to export it into this program with a new template so over the last couple of hours been setting that up>>>then >>> trying to get that to save.  

but please, if the software help button lead you down blind dead end, how do you expect people to be able to stick with this? learning curve is one thing, but just flat out dropping bad instructions, just plain wrong.

Acropolis

Once again...copy/paste.

Open a plan with the wall type that you want to reuse .   Select and copy the wall.

Open a new plan and tile it beside the other plan.

In the top toolbar, select edit/ paste, and paste the wall type into the new plan.

This wall type will now show up in the default wall types (edit/default settings/exterior wall)  offered for use in this new plan.

Set it there, as the wall type that you want to use.

here we go, one support search that doesn't differentiate between types of software, my God, you have to be kidding, that's like giving you a Camaro with FIAT 500 drive train, c'mon, I hope some of you are from the company and can see that there are a good deal of people that buy software some DIY, some looking to do a lot more, I see the DIY alot in the searches I've done, but why in the world would you give an answer for s/w that it doesn't apply to?  This is the Company's HELP button search.

Here is a good one that you amy know then since its not coming up as possible, how do I change the wall height of a sing wall.

Logical???

Yes, the page that defines a single wall has the width, the length, but the height?? C'mon, this is too crazy, it should be on that same page, or be able to click it and just raise it

the problem is the help...you know that little button at the right side top???      it is interactive and shows you what to do,

here is the next good one>>>>

break wall,   in the s/w I have break wall is not an option, this is a joke, the software that is, how can you have a help button within a given s/w that you have purchased that tells you what to do, but the option to do it isn't in in your software,  happy new year

Wall height is controlled by room's ceiling height. You may also use Half Walls that do not reach to ceiling.

Roof Over this Room must be selected for roof to generate over rooms (it is already checked default over most room types but your plan has unchecked).

You misspell paraphet = should be PARAPET. 

All Home Designer software has the break wall tool (under Build -> Wall -> Break Wall if you are unfamiliar with button appearance).

Agree with others that you are getting upset without understanding how the software functions.

Go through the User's Guide first to gain understanding, then look at the videos and articles and post questions on specific things you aren't sure of.  Try not to get upset when asking for gaining understanding with others.

• Upvote 1

then like any other software why doesn't it light up with what that button is when you hover over it??? Fine you got one, but there are serious deficiencies...

Like this same plan I started, I started over, and within that copy paste of the wall definitions, it did not build the roof.

I had already done this 100 time BUILD>ROOF> , fix roof, roof plane, and chosen each one of the options, one I checked the box auto rebuild roof.

If you check auto rebuild roof, why does it work?  If its not going to build the roof, it should give an error message, it doesn't do anything.

So, I went through the user manual pg 67 - 92 it says the same thing: build> roof, set up definitions, when you click OK, no roof is generated.

the videos don't help either, all they show is the right way to do it and when the right way doesn't respond, you are at a dead end.

another with no direct clear answers - in this version of s/w how do you change wall heights?

Directions are select, edit button at lower left, but no one has yet to answer why you can do anything you want to do to a wall, EXCEPT the most obvious - CHANGE the HEIGHT!?!

Stair ways, help section and user manual real clear on what to do to cut the hole for a stair well. followed to a T.  it built a stair case exactly in auto stair tool Q.pnga minute or two, then you spend half a day going in circles

Where are the instructions on what to do if it doesn't work?

no where.  why is it some much stuff doesn't work, that was seen in the video above too...

so please point out to me where is this clip is the auto stair toolauto stair tool Q.pngauto stair tool Q.png

The basic prerequisite for building a roof over a room, is to have a check in the box "roof over this room" in the room dbx.

No one should need to tell you that.

But even without that box being checked, a manually drawn roof plane will generate.