Sign in to follow this  
SAILOR139

Slab Foundation

In our area most new homes are built on a monolithic slab unless there is a basement.  The slab still requires a stem wall and footing due to the frost level.  I can not find any documentations which describes how to do this.  The one you reference above is for a garage slab created with the wall and footings version of the foundation spec.

Look at the Build Foundation image in the article.  It has a radio button where you can select "Monolithic Slab." (I don't know whether or not Suite has this capability, but the article does say it applies, so this is the most likely place that you'll find it).  Also try searching the software's Help for "Slab."

Thanks, unfortunately Suite does not have this button.  I will continue to search for an answer.

If the option isn't there in Build Foundation, and you aren't finding anything in the Help, unfortunately, it probably means it's a more advanced feature that you'll have to upgrade for.  Maybe check out the trial version of Pro first to see if it will do what you want.

In Suite when you select the foundation to build using "walls with footings", That's what it does, it creates the wall with the footings.

You can raise or lower the height of the wall. The wall that's created is a stem wall.

I have a monolithic slab floor.  I wish to add stem walls and footings to this slab.  I do not want the standard floor framing, joists, sub-floor, etc., one gets with the "walls with footings".  We have to have stem walls and footings in the upper mid-west due to the frost line.

If I was building an all wood frame house including the floor I would use the wall with footings option which is an excellent tool.

See attached drawing.FamilyPlan 59148 2 BEDRM mod 03 w Screen Porch.planFamilyPlan 59148 2 BEDRM mod 03 w Screen Porch.plan

Build/Floor/Delete foundation

Build/Floor/Build Foundation      Select 'walls with footings'.

NEXT, on floor level 1:  Open each and EVERY room (including closets) and designate the room as a 'slab'.

Open the structure tab of each room and reset the floor finish (K) to 7/8.

This should give you a 4" thick slab floor on top of stem walls with footings,  and a finished wood floor (on level 1).

P.S.  You need to insert a pass-thru window in the wall that is blocking your sight into the fireplace hearth.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jo_Ann said:

Build/Floor/Delete foundation

Build/Floor/Build Foundation      Select 'walls with footings'.

NEXT, on floor level 1:  Open each and EVERY room (including closets) and designate the room as a 'slab'.

Open the structure tab of each room and reset the floor finish (K) to 7/8.

This should give you a 4" thick slab floor on top of stem walls with footings,  and a finished wood floor (on level 1).

P.S.  You need to insert a pass-thru window in the wall that is blocking your sight into the fireplace hearth.

Hi - could I ask what is the 7/8 floor finish for?Flooring? Thanks.