Sign in to follow this  
chefplettner

How can I add a roof to my addition?

How can I add a roof to my addition without it joining up with the existing roof on the main house?? Our addition roof is going to be lower then the roof that is currently on our home. 

I cannot get a roof on the addition without it just becoming an extension of our current roof. 

post-7896-0-72837800-1467055509_thumb.jpg

Good suggestions depend on knowing what software you are using. Please fill out your signature (see below).

Also check out the links below, and forum search. Your other question about the siding has been discussed many times here.

--------------

It helps if we know what title (Suite, Pro etc) and version (2014, 2015 etc) you are using. You can add this info to your signature by clicking on your user name at the top right of the page, click My Settings, then Signature on the left. 

Resources for self help:

The built in Help System (always a good place to start)

When you say "lower", are you talking about pitch, the ceiling height inside the addition, both???

I agree with Eric.  The style of roof you want (?),  and how you are making it 'lower' is waaay too vague.

Forgot to add. Posting the plan is almost always a good idea.

There's no way around that, unless you separate that section from the Main house. From the pic, no matter what type of roof you build

it will attach.

Echoing to post the .plan file and an example of the type of roof you want (doesn't have to be exact but enough to give us an idea of what you're trying to do). Without that info, attached is my guess best on what you're trying to do (created in my old copy of Architectural so you should be able to open it).

example.plan

post-35-0-43055600-1467152218_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

I did attach a picture of the house. I'm not sure what type of roof is best. As one user wrote, no matter what I do the roof will automatically attach to the main house unless my addition is completely separate from the main house. Is this correct? 

Thank you for all of your replies so far. 

were asking for the actual programs file and a photo of what you want not a pic of what you have

Here's my guess work....

I used soffits and a box shape for the floor....

post-3421-0-67928900-1467175434_thumb.jpg