Sign in to follow this  
Crashmo

Cannot edit roof plane w/o losing dormer

I would like to add a cantilevered balcony to a large shed dormer.  Essentially the dormer acts as a room within the second story.  The deck will draw just fine, but anything I do to the roof planes completely eliminates the dormer walls and roof.  I would like to break the roof planes to meet the sides of the balcony so as to not cover the balcony deck.

It is an automatic dormer so I get the warning "Cannot build walls for dormer here because other walls are in the way." 

Anything I want to change on the rear roof plane results in the entire dormer reverting to the original roof.

Any help appreciated.

post-1187-0-29849800-1463175889_thumb.jpg

post-1187-0-17591700-1463175890_thumb.jpg

Consider drawing in your own dormer and not using the automatic ones.

With Pro, you have control of the roof.

I think in this situation you should post the plan.

Something about the picture ain't right.

If you edit the component parts of a dormer improperly of course you will destroy its usefulness, as a unified object (Dormer Tool) the placement of the dormer is critical. If you really need to edit the dormer it should be "exploded" into its parts ( roof plane, hole in the roof poly line, Walls) and once exploded carefully rearrange  the parts manually until you  get the outcome intended. It is not a difficult process but is exacting and unforgiving when missteps are taken.

DJP

David,

Thank you for that suggestion.  I didn't think of exploding the dormer because I did not want to edit the dormer.  But... it worked.  Now the main roof no longer cuts through the balcony.

Thanks to everyone else--I did consider all of those options.