Explode or combine bathroom fixtures

Colesb

Go to solution Solved by DavidJPotter,

I'm designing a bathroom. My plan only has the one room in it, but when I tried to upload the file, it was huge and even when I stripped it down to what is shown in the image I uploaded, it was 13.7 mb! Then I got a message about an unknown server issue, so I couldn't even upload that.So please look at the image to see the components I was trying to work with. I wanted to explode the Zline shower system so I could put the control valve on a wall near the shower door. It would not let me do that. Then I inserted the 2 Kohler components, thinking I could combine them by putting the shower head on the end of the drop down pipe. No luck there either. Can someone explain what I'm doing wrong? I'm using HD Pro 2024 and I just updated my catalogs to have the latest.

Thank you for your help.

Bathroom fixtures.jpg

• Solution

Symbols can be slightly resized but otherwise not customized or cannibalized for parts. You can by manually locating multiple symbols relative to each other and then "block" them into a manually enforced new group object of symbols but individual symbols cannot be customized without exporting that symbol to a 3D editing program for symbols, like Sketch Up.

DJP

Thanks to you both for your reply. I thought all the blocks in the library were architectural blocks. I have software, Avicad that I use for Autocad type drawings. It was able to import and then export the modified 3d symbols. So again thank you David and Eric for your reply.

On 12/21/2023 at 10:48 AM, solver said:

try using the Delete Surface tool

OK - but having never used this tool I'm at a loss as to its value in the workings of HDPro.

On page 763 of the Reference Manual, I read the following,

'The individual surfaces that make up objects can be temporarily removed from any 3D view by selecting 3D> Delete Surface and then clicking on a surface'

Is this how we modify objects as a process in HDPro?

I find this to be confusing.

The process (and User) that has been nominated as the solution to this question by the author Colesb - has nothing to do with the 'Delete Surface Tool'

Does it? I don't know.

Could someone please set me straight here.

Jeff.

Jeff, the process that worked best for me was David's reply, which I said was a solution. Eric's solution kind of worked for me, but I thought it was very cumbersome trying to get all the surfaces that made up that shower system deleted. When I did a combination of David and Eric's solutions, I got the best result. I was able to export the object as a .stl file. Import it into my software and save the valve and shower head as separate files. Then I inserted those files into my shower as separate objects and located them like I wanted with the shower head on one wall and the valve on another close to the door. Not sure if I answered your question, since I'm just trying to figure how to get things done in HD Pro. What I do know is I really appreciate this forum and all the people that are willing to help someone like me get past the speedbumps. I would have given up before I got started if not for this forum. So thank you all and hope you all have a Merry Christmas and a great New Year!

3 hours ago, Colesb said:
3 hours ago, Colesb said:

I was able to export the object as a .stl file. Import it into my software and save

So the software you imported to is HDPro2024 - or something else that handles stereolithographic files (stl)?

I'm trying to get a handle on the process here.

Thanks.

Why stl and not dae? 

13 hours ago, Robborito said:

So the software you imported to is HDPro2024 - or something else that handles stereolithographic files (stl)?

I'm trying to get a handle on the process here.

Thanks.

Why stl and not dae? 

I made a new plan in HD Pro 2024 that only had the shower pieces that I wanted to modify. You have to be in full camera mode to see a 3d view of the pieces. If you export from a plan view, you only export a 2d version. In HD Pro Go to file select export to stl and hit enter.

I tried .dae but the shower blocks came in as full blocks that I could not explode or modify in any way except to erase.

I then opened a new file in my software, Avicad, which is a very good substitute for AutoCad and imported the .stl file. Since I was trying to separate the shower control valve and shower head, I had to import the shower system 2 times. Once to erase the shower head and save the control valve and then again to only save the shower head. I then exported each file as a .stl file and imported them separately into my shower. You must be in a plan view to import the pieces, but once imported they act just like any library symbol.

David suggested using Sketch Up, which may work better than what I did, but I don't have any experience with that. 

On 12/25/2023 at 12:59 AM, Colesb said:

I then opened a new file in my software, Avicad,

OK -so this is where the editing and removal of unwanted details are done?

And without this - what does one do? Not much other than look the alternative methods on offer.

Thanks for the detail explanation anyway.

Great input.