Fretwork Ideas

Kristine

Hi all. Thanks so much for the great advice I always receive through this forum.

One of my clients is wanting me to add arched fretwork to the underside of her balcony as per the porch trim as shown in the attached image. I've looked through the incorporated millwork (both included in the library and available through bonus downloads) along with the SketchUp Warehouse, though can't find anything that's quite right.
Unfortunately I am far from experienced with 3D modelling from scratch and was just wondering if anyone has any ideas or short-cuts before I try and recreate this look myself.

Thank you so much.

House.jpg

My advice is to carefully measure the spaces on your porch, between posts and then using Sketch Up, carefully create the "Fretwork" symbols there to import into DH Pro 2020 as a symbol to then be located on your porch between your posts. Sketch Up is free, all it costs you is the time to learn its simple tools.

DJP

1 hour ago, solver said:

Use a Custom Backsplash. Search my YouTube channel for more info.

I tried emulating the fretting using the black splash tool in my  Pro 2021 trial version with no success. Could you please do a video on how to successfully emulate that Architectural detail using only the back splash tool please using HD Pro?

DJP 

3 hours ago, DavidJPotter said:

Could you please do a video

I cannot see the details good enough to do a video, but in general would do this.

Make a spindle and Transform/Replicate it across. Make the arched bottom piece. Drag the bottom of the spindles up. Block together.

ht1.thumb.png.b64bc2436eeebe58e7e9bf9dd8cf5d09.png

Kristine, I made one up, attached is a SketchUp model of similar fretwork you may find useful.
It can be resized/stretched horizontally and vertically within HD. Keep in mind if you are 
showing multiple copies adjacent to each other that have been resized (stretched or shortened)
considerably from each other then visually they are going to display distorted from one another.
YMMV

Arched_Fretwork_1.jpg

Arched_Fretwork_2.jpg

Arched_Fretwork.skp

• Upvote 1

The custom backsplash also works great (used only for the arc portion).

Then use soffits for the spindles.  Block it all together. 

The individual spindles can then be selected and resized or moved by use of the "tab" key (no need to unblock).

Once made, the block can then be copied/pasted or added to the user library.

image.thumb.png.ff0a1c4536a6b781336578b5c1804831.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rangerrick said:

Kristine, I made one up, attached is a SketchUp model of similar fretwork you may find useful.
It can be resized/stretched horizontally and vertically within HD. Keep in mind if you are 
showing multiple copies adjacent to each other that have been resized (stretched or shortened)
considerably from each other then visually they are going to display distorted from one another.
YMMV

Arched_Fretwork_1.jpg

Arched_Fretwork_2.jpg

Arched_Fretwork.skp

Thank you so much. That looks fantastic!

DJP...
After creating the backsplash arc, I moved the arc away from the wall (to see it better).
Then I centered a soffit in FRONT of the arc.  After sizing the soffit (depth,width and reasonable height), I then lowered the soffit to where it would contact the arc.
Next, I copied/sticky pasted all the "spindles" (in FRONT of the arc).   Because they were all easy to see on the floor plan, it was easy to select all of them (including the arc) and BLOCK them.
Using the tab key, it was then easy to select and move each spindle into position, in the 2d view.
Then I moved the entire block back into the porch wall.

6 hours ago, Jo_Ann said:

The custom backsplash also works great (used only for the arc portion).

Jo Ann. I've been playing around with using the Custom Backsplash tool though am having trouble creating a uniform arch. I watched Solver's video and that helped a little but I'm still missing something. Do you mind elaborating on how you created your fretwork arches please?

Step 1. Place and size doorway (10' ?) set with a broken arch (arch height 12") and remove exterior casing.
Step 2. Add a backsplash.
Step 3. Arch the backsplash, using the doorway arch as a guide.
Step 4. Shape/resize the arc .  Also reset the facet angle for a smoother arc ( 1° ?).
Step 5. Pull the arc away from the wall.  Edit it's thickness (4" ?).

image.thumb.jpeg.fa9865f7f9d08ed375c0b9387e1001cf.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.62bae9aaa880d658ebfcb28e898cb5ea.jpeg  image.thumb.jpeg.bd688c35466e481b061995a8a102fd4d.jpeg  image.thumb.jpeg.0ebdfb7b8e6e1afc17f0616ab23b4c46.jpeg  image.thumb.jpeg.0f24a6141a4dc4a86e38b6d14d7019f8.jpeg