Standard exterior stud spacing?

Lindsey2195

Just curious as I am going through all the wall type definitions, I notice that any exterior walls that are 2x6 are all on 24" centers. Is 24" more standard than 16" in the home building industry? 24 seems better for insulation, but I assumed 16 was standard. I am not in the industry, but built mine with 16" centers. 

The safest answer is to ask a local State Licensed structural Engineer about that question, walls should be able to withstand weather and geological forces throughout the life of the structure. In Coastal Areas that occasionally get high wind loading forces (storms and Hurricanes) need additional bracing and strength to do their job. Where snow loading is a concern the same might be true as to stresses and loadings that walls and roof framing structures must withstand. Ask a trained professional is my advice, you do not want to guess where a large investment of treasure and labor is expended.

DJP

Thank you. I see, so location has a lot to do with it: snow, wind, etc. among the other many other structural concerns. I'm in Colorado. Engineers probably wouldn't approve 24 on very many projects here, so I guess I'll go to the trouble of changing all wall type defaults to 16 o. c. as the most likely scenario.

Where walls are concerned, "Traditional" residential wood framing uses 2x4 studs at 16-inches apart. "New" wood framing may use 2x6 studs 24-inces apart.  The thinking is the "new" method allows for improved the thermal performance of the structure, without sacrificing the strength of the structure. (Fewer, stronger studs further apart versus more, weaker studs closer together.)

Building & Construction Methods: Only your local "Building Inspector" can tell you what the legal requirements are for your project. Local jurisdictions choose which building codes and design standards to enforce. You won't know which apply to your project unless you ask.