Balusters not displaying above staircase half wall

ethanjsmith82

I am trying to have solid wall (sheetrock) covering the sides of the actual stairs below, as shown in these images, and then have a standard height railing with balusters in the remaining open space.  I can't seem to get it to work.  It keeps treating that side of the stairwell as a regular wall, and therefore thinks only a railing should be placed there, without the balusters.

My triangular wall section that I used was just an individual interior-4 wall that I stretched/resized to make a custom polygon wall.  It only extends up to the top of each stair.

Any ideas for how to get the balusters to display?

post-2299-0-89527300-1474389223_thumb.png

post-2299-0-44349500-1474389225_thumb.png

You might try dragging the wall under the stair object right under the edge of the stair object which will expose and allow the balusters and newels to be visible and then to further control the reveal of the balusters you could use a sloped soffit to cover only part of the lower part of the balusters.

DJP

Thanks guys, I was able to figure this out.  I selected the triangular wall object in plan view and dragged it 1 foot to the right of the staircase.  Then, I went back into the properties of the stairs object and I guess it re-calculates all of the settings you have saved and the preview image showed the balusters.  Once I clicked OK (didn't change anything in the stairs properties) they rendered properly in 3D view.  Then, I dragged the triangular wall back to be flush against the side of the stairs and the balusters remained in place in 3D view.

Unfortunately, it looks like once I've dragged that triangular wall back in place, if I open up the stairs properties again, it has re-hidden the balusters, so if I click OK in that DBX (even without changing anything, or if I do in fact want to change stair settings) I have to go through the whole process over again of dragging the triangle wall away from the stairs, modifying and saving the stairs, dragging the wall back in place.

An additional negative:  it even includes changing the paint colors via the eydropper and paint roller tool, in 3D view, as a "change" to the properties of the stair object, and makes you go through that whole process to get the balusters to reappear.

Certainly seems like a bug to me!

Like solver said post a picture of what it suppose to be like.

Generally, when you have stairs against the wall only the rails show.

Try this:   Delete the left side rail, then draw a rail, check "no room definition" have the rail follow the stairs and place it on the stair itself.

stairs3.png (attached) is what it looks like after I do my workaround.  Technically it's not ideal - I would prefer the balusters to be on the actual sloped molding/cap portion (as in "stairs4.png") rather than sitting on top of the actual tread, but I'm not going to get that picky right now unless you guys know how to accomplish that.  Doing it that way might even solve the disappearing baluster issue I'm having.

And I need to backtrack on a previous statement.  It appears every time the plan is closed and re-opened, it gets rid of the balusters again.  So, I have to drag the triangle wall away, open and close the stairs properties, and drag the triangle wall back in place for them to re-appear.

post-2299-0-62368500-1474396950_thumb.png

post-2299-0-50578300-1474397191_thumb.png