Why the HDPro layout printing limitation?

Robborito

Maybe someone has inside information perhaps - but after reviewing HDPro for quite a while - when you get to actually outputting drawings, images aetc as you need to do, suddenly we hit a limitation on output size, sheet numbers etc etc.

Why is it like this? (apart from the obvious)

Like OK - HDPro is a great program at a great price - but it seems dumb to stop the bells and whistles when you get to the most important phase (as far as impressing clients anyway) - only to find restrictions.

Sure - you can make as many single layout pdf's an images as you like - plans/blueprints, whatever you guys call them, are important communication media between and Architect/HomeDesigner/ whatever you be,  and your client..Why not sets of drawings/layouts?

In my opinion HDPro would do much better if this output limitation was removed.

I would have bought it months back.

Instead - I am procrastinating my purchase over this output limitation, and how best to work around it.

OK - I see that it sorta directs me to getting Chief Premier - but, I am not in a position to go there atm.

Maybe there is room for another version - Home Designer - "Blueprint Artist" - "Professional Plan-Maker"

Or something similar?

Increase the HDPro layout output to a set of say 5 sheets - to enable a decent output.

Are there ways around what I see is an issue?

printing to PDF at 1/2 Scale and then printing the PDF at 200% works for full size Arch.sheets  ie 12x18 at 1/8th scale is 1/4: at 200% on 24x36

as far as the layout pages , once your Drawing is done and you are ready for ConDocs. the easiest thing is to make a "save as" of the plan with an additional name eg 1st floor ,foundation etc and then send that to layout, so essentially you have a plan file for each level.elevation etc as needed ,un fortunately the downside is you make a change after that you may have issues .

They really don't want you using Pro for doing ConDocs but there are people doing it , one sheet at a time.

you'll find other threads here and on the legacy forum about this ...

• Upvote 1

I've been considering taking the plunge for Chief Premier for a long time, and multi-page layouts, with no print size limitations, is one of the biggest reasons to upgrade IMHO, so I completely understand why they wouldn't let that feature trickle down to the less advanced versions.

You mention you're not "in a position to go there atm" so maybe the monthly rental option for Premier would be an good for you or consider calling the company's sales people directly, they might have a special deal on upgrades from Pro not listed on the website.

http://www.chiefarchitect.com/software-rental/

• Upvote 1

"They really don't want you using Pro for doing ConDocs but there are people doing it , one sheet at a time."

Is there a technical reason (like something wrong with plans that it would create)?  Or are you just saying that CA figures if you're printing construction docs you should be paying them thousands of dollars and not hundreds?

The technical "Reason" is IMHO value and exchange. Suite and Interiors will do a lot for little money, for a little more Architectural offers additional features and choices with Home Designer Pro offering the ability to layout printed sheets albeit one file at a time. The exchange for HD Pro is $495.00. 

You get what everyone gets when they buy pro 2016.

For $2,600.00 and then about $400.00 per year to maintain your SSA account you get rather a lot more because you exchanged more in terms of money and the time it takes to learn how to use and apply those additional tools and features.

Chief Architect Inc is a business and to survive they must make profits, pay salaries, Insurance, rent, legal fees etc. It is their company and products and they have their own survival to insure. It is the way our world is rigged to run.

DJP

Well thanks for all of that - but, really - imo the limitation is just poor marketing.

Sure they are a company....not sure I understand the rigging of the world comment, but...

what has that got to do with the output from HDPro?

If I was to go to Chief premier for that issue alone - better printing output of docs.,  I would need my head read.

Chief has an awful lot more to offer than just the construction contract drawings output surely?

Doesn't it? 

For HDPro - A set of 4-5 A3 sized ( Sorry I'm metric) sheets would be clever marketing., for a multitude of reasons.

I would buy it and suspect many other professionals would also.

It's a clever, well focused, intuitive suite of software - that high end BIM ( ArchiCAD, Revit ) software does not have. Full-stop.

HDPro - It's a cursory step towards the eventual and obvious conclusion........Chief Premier!

Thanks for the feedback  - Hometalk people.

I've been considering taking the plunge for Chief Premier for a long time, and multi-page layouts, with no print size limitations, is one of the biggest reasons to upgrade IMHO, so I completely understand why they wouldn't let that feature trickle down to the less advanced versions.

You mention you're not "in a position to go there atm" so maybe the monthly rental option for Premier would be an good for you or consider calling the company's sales people directly, they might have a special deal on upgrades from Pro not listed on the website.

http://www.chiefarchitect.com/software-rental/

Monthly rental.....Thanks I'll look into it.

OK - I looked into it.

Bad idea.

Cheers.

If it meant more money for the extra few sheets of output - within reason - I'd gladly pay for it.

As for the comparison between HDPro and Chief Premier - yes I know all of that I've seen that also - I think you're missing the point?

• 1 month later...

Having now reviewed 'Pro' side by side with Architectural and Suite - There are other buttons in Pro that just don't work in the more economical 'DIY' versions of the software.

This limited output/printing thing is one thing for me, probably the most important.

I still don't understand that part.

But things like 'custom countertop' and 'partition' (kitchen design tools) that are only available in Pro.

I think I get the 'Home Designer'picture now.

It does now look like Pro is my only choice - if and when the output is ever changed

Having now reviewed 'Pro' side by side with Architectural and Suite - There are other buttons in Pro that just don't work in the more economical 'DIY' versions of the software.

This limited output/printing thing is one thing for me, probably the most important.

I still don't understand that part.

But things like 'custom countertop' and 'partition' (kitchen design tools) that are only available in Pro.

I think I get the 'Home Designer'picture now.

It does now look like Pro is my only choice - if and when the output is ever changed

Not quite sure I understand your comments ,about the extra buttons and features , that is basically why there are 5 versions of the  software , you wouldn't buy Pro if Suite did the same job , so I am not sure why you seemed surprised about that , but it is frustrating , (been there done that) , and it is a love/hate relationship for sure :)  but once you get to know the Software there are many workarounds etc you can employ.

With the ability to Print to PDF , you can print pretty much any size you want/need , so I wouldn't let that hold you back.

M.

Not quite sure I understand your comments ,about the extra buttons and features , that is basically why there are 5 versions of the  software , you wouldn't buy Pro if Suite did the same job , so I am not sure why you seemed surprised about that , but it is frustrating , (been there done that) , and it is a love/hate relationship for sure :)  but once you get to know the Software there are many workarounds etc you can employ.

With the ability to Print to PDF , you can print pretty much any size you want/need , so I wouldn't let that hold you back.

M.

Mick,

So the print to pdf - which I can't see because I'm using a trial version, has no sheet size limitation?

I know as you say  - buying 'it' is the first step. There are work-arounds I'm sure.

The limitation is hardcoded but you print at 1/2 scale then increase PDF to 200% to actually Print , I do it this way to get 22"x34" full sheets as my Printer will do tabloid (11x17) and it prints to 4 sheets, and is pretty accurate , it even prints the marks to align the 4 pages, of course if I went to a Print shop , I'd do it full size. (not sure what the metric equivalents are.)

ie  1/8" scale at 100%  is  1/4" printed at 200%

if you search on printing here you should find several posts/how to's on this.

• Upvote 1

The limitation is hardcoded but you print at 1/2 scale then increase PDF to 200% to actually Print , I do it this way to get 22"x34" full sheets as my Printer will do tabloid (11x17) and it prints to 4 sheets, and is pretty accurate , it even prints the marks to align the 4 pages, of course if I when to a Print shop , I'd do it full size. (not sure what the metric equivalents are.)

ie  1/8" scale at 100%  is  1/4" printed at 200%

if you search on printing here you should find several posts/how to's on this.

In other words, you cannot print to a larger size from Home Designer Pro, even if you are just "printing to a PDF file."

Once the PDF is created, it's outside of Home Designer's hands.

• 4 weeks later...

In other words, you cannot print to a larger size from Home Designer Pro, even if you are just "printing to a PDF file."

Once the PDF is created, it's outside of Home Designer's hands.

I opened Pro again for a re-look and have found that in the Drawing Sheet Setup under Printer - I can now use and A1 sheet? is this a new upgrade development or was I missing something earlier with my posts in my demo of this software? This if is a new development - is a great advance and if right - I will buy the Pro version......Can anyone confirm please?I've emailed Chief - but yet have not had a reply. So much for living on the under-belly of mother earth I guess.......( They are busy, I know.) 

OooPs - hang on - I'm revising this post - Have just realised the sheet layout can be A1 size - but the printer will only let me output to A3 sheets. Which requires further page pasting and editing to make an original the same size as the layout. What bout the pdf? Same output restriction.

Sorry for this further frustrated post.