Basic Balloon Frame Instructions

MadMacks

I've tried multiple ways to achieve what I would think should be a fairly simple process, the build out of a basic ballon frame, single story cabin with an unfinished attic. Unfortunately I can't find a complete example of how to achieve this. My goal is to have a simple 4 room cabin (main room, kitchen, bedroom, bathroom) that uses 2x6 exterior wall studs that are 14 feet long. The interior ceiling height of each room should be set at 10 feet, with the attic using the balance of the 14 foot exterior wall studs via a balloon frame set up.

I've looked at the Users Guide and the Reference Manual and do find references to "balloon frame" options, but I guess I'm too simple mined to actually figure out how to make it happen. Is there some step by step example somewhere? Is there a YouTube training video that can guide me a bit? I've looked but I haven't found anything, and I'm driving myself crazy trying different ways using the application. HELP! 

one option that might work - I have not tried

Set first floor rooms to have the same ceiling height which would be with the 14ft studs (where do you find these by the way? 12' is max board lengh around here)

Absolute Ceiling Height = single bottom plate + double top plate + 14ft stud = 14'-4.5" ceiling.

Then make sure THIS ROOM HAS FLAT CEILING is UNCHECKED.

Then draw in a manual ceiling plane at 10'  height (which is under joists)

Define ceiling joists etc etc

and you will get what you want I think.

But if not I bet maybe tweaking a few things from what I wrote would get you what you want.

Good luck

Crap thought of another way while I played with my plans.

Draw first floor with 10ft ceilings.

Then add second floor but with Ceiling height that gives you your 14ft studs.

Make sure balloon framing is checked everywhere (might be best to see if it is in Defaults)

5 hours ago, MadMacks said:

I've looked at the Users Guide and the Reference Manual

Looks like balloon options are there under platform intersections of wall specifications?

In my version HDPro2024.

I've tried doing the above, but somehow I must be missing something. First step was to draw the exterior walls (no rooms) and set them to use 14' studs. Fine, I get a really tall big room. Then I added interior walls for all 4 rooms, and set the ceiling to be at 10'. The entire house shrank down to 10' rather than creating the balloon framing (I had balloon checked). I expected the celling and the joists to drop down to the 10' height. I've checked and unchecked anything I can find that says "balloon"... 

I'm hoping someone that had done this can provide a step by step, or point me to some training video that helps explain...ugh...

Wow! THANK YOU SO MUCH. I really appreciate that you took the time to do that video, it helps immensely! I'm currently living off grid in a "rough" cabin (with internet of course) and am completely snowed in (4 miles of unplowed dirt trails to the nearest paved road) and won't be getting off my property for at least 4-5 days, so I'll have plenty of time to work thru the changes I need to make for my actual "cabin" plans.

Really appreciated! You make it look so simple, and I guess being very knowledgeable about the application does help. I need to submit actual house plans to the county I live in by mid March, and I now think I might make that deadline! If you're ever in Virginia City, Nevada I owe you an adult beverage of your choice...