What should the back overhang be set at on base cabinets?

Plainwacky

I Set them at 0 since I have the cabinets up against the wall and there is no room for an overhang.

IF the back is exposed and out in open it would depend. but 1" is pretty much the standard overhang around where live.

Now is there seating? like an island or peninsula?

Then knee space rules dictate how much it should be and that is governed by height.

See this - and peeps need to read it and follow it else you can get a goofy kitchen you end up hating:

Basically, a free version of important rules to follow from Better Homes and Garden:

Fundamental Kitchen Design Guidelines to Know Before You Remodel (bhg.com)

And then the rule body National Kitchen & Bath Association:

NKBA

Hi...the back of my kitchen cabinets are against the wall. I think the default is set at 1" away from the wall and I was wondering why. Shouldn't the cabinets be right up against what wall and screw into the studs??

Yes. I think the 1" OH is there in case they are going to be used for an island. That way the OH will show, and then people won't have to add it. If you look at your plan when you draw it, once the cabinet is against a wall, the OH disappears anyway and becomes a moot point.

11 hours ago, Plainwacky said:

When I butt my cabinets against the wall, I'm not seeing the 1" OH on the back going away.

Use a Glass House view to look at the back of the cabinet.

And why are you asking? Are you seeing a problem?

I'm not seeing a problem....I was just curious as to why there is a 1" OH on the back. Didn't know if there was a reason for this. As I mentioned, I would think there would be no OH so that the cabinets would be right up against the sheetrock and screwed into the studs.

but if against the wall then it does not overhange.

just like it does not overhang on the side when 2 or more cabinets screwed together.

Only overhangs when it can into open space.