How to purge unused materials from Plan Materials ?

pattyw

I am trying to cleanup my file and I see a lot of materials in the Select Material dialog under plan materials that are no longer in my plan.  They have InUse checked and I can't purge.  I can't find them anywhere on my plan.

I did a test and created a new empty plan and it already has all the same materials as in use on that empty plan (except for a single wall I placed to get into the dialog).  

How can I clean that list up?

Is there any way for me to define my own custom color or material based on another material?  For example, I'm going through default settings try to reset a bunch of these, but I don't like picking the same color/material over and over again for different things.  Is there a way I can create my own color, for example  Color - Interior Door,  Color-Exterior Door, Color - Window Sash, etc so that later I can change all the doors easily?

Thank you!  I played around with that.  It's not really the question I was asking but I think I can take what you posted and make it work.  What would be nice if there was a way to create new materials as a shortcut to another existing material.  So for example, I could create a material like Ground Floor Drywall and point it straight to an existing material.

Using you what you posted I dug deeper into the Select Material dialog and in there I can both edit a material to bring up what you show in your video and I can also copy an existing material.  That's better than nothing at all, so at least now I can create new materials called Interior Door Color,  ExteriorSiding-GroundFloor, ExteriorSiding,1stFloor, etc.  If I change my mind about what siding I want, at least I can edit that material.  I'll have to make sure to copy every setting within that material to match the new material I want.  Maybe someday they can add a feature to clone another material from within that edit material dialog.

On 6/30/2022 at 9:15 AM, pattyw said:

etc so that later I can change all the doors easily?

I just use the spraygun (material painter) with the 'material painter plan mode' selected, and you can change the same parts of objects in one click?

I do it all the time with window and door frames etc when deciding on which colour suits the design best;

No need for extra layers.