Mod Existing Plan Walls To Be Higher

MadMacks

I'm trying to modify and existing plan that has standard height walls to use 12' 2x6 (nominal) boards rather than standard studs. What I want to achieve is a first floor with approximately 10' ceilings and have an attic that has approximately 12"-16" stem walls on all exterior walls depending on the ceiling joist size I need to use. The cabin has a rough exterior dimension of 38' by 16' so I think I'll use 2"x12" boards at 12" OC for the ceiling joists, which will handle the 16' span and loads I need. If I do that I can have a reasonably usable unfinished attic as I'm using a 12/12 roof pitch. Anyway, I tried looking at changing wall heights, and/or ceiling heights, but can't achieve my goal. I don't want to have to start the plan over just to get the default wall/ceiling heights to take hold. 

Is there a way to modify all exterior walls to use 12' studs, have all interior walls use 10' studs to achieve roughly 10' ceiling heights, and let the balance of the exterior wall stud lengths float into the attic?

OBTW I'm using Home Designer Pro 2021...

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

In the plan already laid out the Wall Structure "Default Wall Height" check boxes are grayed out so I can't change them. How do you unlock these check boxes?

I've selected, as and example, all the rooms and changed their height to 14 feet. I now want to set the finished interior ceiling to 10 feet so that i end up with a 4 foot (nominal) knee wall in the attic.