Best source for learning to use Home Designer Pro 2020

adriancisco71

Hello forum,

So I just purchased Home Designer Pro 2020 as an upgrade to the 2018 version and I'm having a hard time understanding the terrain and elevation features. I've been working on a split-level design of our home and I can't seem to get the elevations to play right. I managed to make it happen in the earlier version but can't seem to make it happen on the new one. I change elevation in one room and it changes the elevation in another... I've looked at all the videos but can't seem to find one that addresses the issues I'm having. I have tons of questions such as: Do I design terrain BEFORE adding the building or do I design the building FIRST then the terrain AROUND the building?? I don't want to flood the forum with dumb questions so I'd simply like to know where everyone is getting their knowledge from. What would be the best source to learn to use this program? I attached a screenshot of what I'm currently working on. Thank you!

Courtyard2.jpg

• Upvote 1

Welcome to the terrain frustration club...even with over 50 years of playing with the dirt on job sites, I too find the terrain building process to be quite a bit less than intuitive..but here is my take on it...IMO, and I have done it both ways, I find no advantage in building terrain first...too many variables as the plan develops...especially when dealing with sloped terrain and a walkout basement....

With help from others on the site I have been able to fight my way through the maze...understanding how different dialog box choices affect the outcome is paramount to getting satisfactory results...The  terrain specifications "flatten" terrain checkbox has a big effect on how the terrain follows the building...JOAnne helped me with that one...but conversely the 'flatten terrain region" checkbox kind of works in a different manner...I have battled the jumping up and down of adjacent terrain regions and found that adjusting the subfloor height works better than trying to chase the terrain when it jumps...

Please post the plan so we can see what it actually looks like and hopefully you can provide some input into what you are looking for in the end result...

Hope this helps a little...

Regards

Rick

Thanks Rick! This is definitely a brain buster but I think I'm getting the hang of it. Just so many damn boxes to check. I just don't quite understand how elevations work on this program. I change one elevation in one room and the whole thing goes south. I will post my design asap.

So I've been playing with the elevations and floor heights and anything else I can think of but I just can't seem to fix my disappearing walls issue... It seems like every time I think I have it figured out, something else gets screwed up.  I need serious help!!!!

Screenshot 2020-05-13 16.38.31.png

I would guess that your floor height and ceiling heights, relative one to another are off (just a guess without your plan file no one can but guess). Do what Eric suggested or upload it to Dropbox, One Drive or Google Drive etc. and then share a link to that cloud folder so you can obtain real help.

DJP

• 3 months later...
On 5/14/2020 at 6:35 AM, solver said:

Did you guys notice the announcement this morning?

The terrain tool just takes a slow hand, patience and experimentation with different scenarios watching the results from the user input. Keep it simple is my rule.

Its wobbly results at first, but slowly does it, staying calm, don't panic, and there's always 'undo' that  helps;  It's learning the logic it produces that helped my working thru the terrain tools. When the results happen its awesome to use.

Hi - any chance this announcement  can be re-issued as nothing is available on you post - is says that it has been hidden from display?

Was it related to the terrain webinar comments by Ricatic?

Can someone offer where was the webinar advertised please?

Thanks.