Deck direction

elmerfudd

I am drawing an attached deck to a home. I want the direction of the decking 90 degrees to what is automatically generated. I've tried to manually draw the deck joist to accommodate the new deck direction. I've tried to manually change the decking direction to no avail. I can't find anything in the ref guide which covers this. The "automatic" framing check can't be accessed; it's semi opaque. How do I change my decking direction? My idea is better than what is automatically generated! This is driving me nuts, and the deck looks horrible with the automatic framing. There has to be a simple way to do this. Home designer pro 2015. Any "simple" solutions out there?

More simply stated, the deck boards currently goes North to South. I want them to go East to West... Anybody?

Go to the Room Specification for the deck.  Go to the Deck option,  Check the Plank direction.  Uncheck automatic, and enter 90 degrees.  The framing is automatically changed to match the plank direction, not the other way round.  This works in Pro 2018.  I can't remember if that option exists in 2015, so take a look.

Elmerfudd,

Just for kicks I installed Pro 15 on a Mac 10.9.5 virtual machine.  Created a deck area.   Changed the plank direction, no problem.

Installed Home Designer Architect 2014 on my win10 machine.  It automatically marked the enclosed area created by  the deck railing tool as a deck.  Changed the plank direction to 37.5 degrees, no problem.

So whatever the problem is, it's not endemic to the program itself.

There "might" be a problem with your installation.  You could check for a software update.  The support site has an archive for the older versions.  If the plan says the plank direction has been successfully changed, but the camera does not reflect that, then you might have a video driver redraw issue.  Save the newly changed plan with the 90 degree plank angle, and close the entire program.  Reopen the plan and check your camera.  

https://www.homedesignersoftware.com/support/update-archives.html

I abandoned the plan. Started over, and it allowed me to change the direction. Guess I solved it, but when previously drawn, was stubborn and wouldn't let me adjust anything. Thank you for all the help. Appreciated.

• 5 years later...