3D Warehouse

Fidellaty

I am super new to this all, so I thought I'd just throw this out there.  Is there any way in 3D Warehouse where items that are 100% compatible with Home Designer and Chief Architect software could be accumulated and shared with this community?  I imagine there is.  Just need someone to have the initiative.  Maybe a way to let multiple contribute when they find good objects.  I've found some items that work and some that don't and it looks like others are doing the same thing.

Is there any way in 3D Warehouse where items that are 100% compatible with Home Designer and Chief Architect software

Not to my knowledge, I usually have to download several objects to find one that is worth keeping, sometimes downloading an older Sketch up file makes the difference, sometimes I just download several and see how they look once imported before deciding as to the quality. These are "free" only in terms of no money exchange is required, the quality is also "free", that is just the way it is. The only way to be completely safe is just not to play.

DJP

I have for years shared symbols with others and also libraries of materials files. The common denominator of Chief and Home Designers is a willingness to help others. Please do not misidentify me with others you may have met, I am not a Saint but I do help a lot of users of Chief Architect and Home Designer since 1999. Commonly I expect personalized help requiring an hour or more to be properly exchanged for, on the other hand I often choose who I help and why.

DJP

• Downvote 1

Oh.  I'm sorry.  I must have misunderstood.  I am going through the reference manual page by page.  At 616 pages, it quite comprehensive.  Trying to jump right in has served me well, but I hope to get a good understanding through the documentation. I will try to help if I can.

So with my brain just jumping around, I thought it would be nice if there was a place to look for 3D Warehouse models that other HD and CA users have found worked well for them (at least). One hundred percent compatibility might have been an overstatement.  I see (in the warehouse) there is a way to share models through several social media websites or you could possibly upload (after downloading) and tag with Chief Architect?  I don't know.  Sketchup is new to me also, so trying to learn both it and HD is a lot at once.  Maybe I will explore the options when I can in the future.  Or maybe someone else will take the ball and run.  Anyway it was just a thought.  I would assume anyone that has used the programs for a good amount of time might have a nice little model stash.

Eric suggested contacting Chief Architect.  Maybe I can just ask them to check out this post.  :D

Your help is certainly appreciated.  Thanks.

• 3 months later...

In case anyone is still watching this thread . . .

Never tried 3D Warehouse, but I have been recently perusing archive3d.net.  It's not as splashy as the 3D Warehouse site, and the quality varies considerably, but there is a lot of good stuff on there. 

Everything downloads as a .zip file which includes the object in .3ds and .GSM formats.  I've had success about 70% of the time importing the .3ds files into HD Pro 16.  The downloads often contain image files and I haven't really figured out how to properly utilize those - sometimes an item imports with the correct textures/colors shown in the images, and sometimes I get a green object in the shape of what I expected.  Downloads that only have the object files and no extra images seen to import best.

Maybe archive3d.net would be more useful to you if the other site's objects aren't compatible? I don't know how much content is on 3d warehouse, but archive3d looks to have over 43000 items.

Cheers,

Christa

I think the key issue is what is a good symbol.

Some fail on import for various reasons but many import but can be poor for their given purpose and many are constructed from an extremely high number of polygons. So although on occasion I use a third party symbol as is (usually after rejecting many others) I still find myself editing the source file to resolve issues and reduce polygons on most. 

I would rather CA spend more time on libraries of their own for sale so they get obvious benefit assuming people purchase.  They do have a number but there's a lot not covered - we see requests for various things on the forum including my pet peeve of more European/UK items.

Perhaps a survey on what symbols people would like based on a number of categories is a way forward assuming this hasn't already been done

• Upvote 1