Adding two story addition to eave side of 1-1/2 story house?

AllDoneHM

Go to solution Solved by AllDoneHM,

12 minutes ago, AllDoneHM said:

How do I then build a roof on the addition without affecting the rest of the house?

You need to communicate details of the addition -- what the roof needs to look like, what's there now, and any other helpful info you can provide.

Yes, Gary, that is what I'm after! Thanks!

The other thing that may make this more complicated is the roofline. Looking from the outside, I want the ridge centered (on the middle of the house) and for the wall on the right to be shorter.

If I had more information and maybe a sketch of what you’re wanting it to look like, I could see if it can be done. With HDS you are so limited on what you can do with roofs it’s hard to do a custom roof. 

IMG_5672.thumb.jpeg.eb8a1e7672b40e717b8b5f212f935e3c.jpegThat's helpful to know. It's quite difficult for a novice such as myself to assess the capabilities and restrictions of these programs. Yes, I know there are comparative charts, etc, but I'm not a professional contractor or engineer, so I may not fully understand the features as described.

Yes, I was able to open the file you sent but am not able to edit it. Thanks, Gary!

I can't justify the cost of HDP, unfortunately. I'll to play around some different options, I guess.

Thanks again!

Thanks for your encouragement.

I haven’t used the program in the better part of two years, so the relearning curve is a little steep. I’m only getting a few minutes here and there to work on it. Trying to refamiliarize  myself with the tools. 

I don’t want to be too much of a pest… 

practice is how you learn start with simple square house hip and gable roofs.

Then learn how to add dormers int he various methods software gives you.

Then start getting complicated - learn manual roof planes and how to edit roofplanes.

If yo uhave less then PRO not much you can learn as it is all automated which I find tedious since you have to figure out work arounds when it would be simpler to just edit roof planes manually