Vertical Beam Won't Reach the Vaulted Ceiling

AmyLynn

I did a whole kitchen redesign and figured out everything I needed.  Now we're starting to redesign the living room and I have one situation I just can't seem to fix.  I have the ceiling beams working okay, but there's a supporting half wall which you can see in the picture where I can't get the vertical beams to reach to the upper beam.  There's just no options to change the height on it.  It's like it knows where the ceiling would have been and stops there.  Can anyone help?  Thanks!

image.thumb.png.31f1ff28a092ff68b0cc91e834c0e1c2.png

Is the wall built as a railing? You could make the newel posts smaller, then use a post in the framing box, make it the size of what it needs to be and set the height to reach the bottom of the beam. Then take the center of the new post and align it in the center "x" of the railing newel 

HI, everyone.  Thank you for the responses.  Trying to understand your advice...  I built it as a railing but when I saw the height was greyed out on the newels/balusters, I added a 5" inch wall.

Rookie65, I think I understand what you're saying, but when I search to add a post, I get all sorts of weird columns.  Not just a 5x5 piece of wood / a beam.

y-g-m-n, I created this house plan over 2 years ago and just came back to it now that we're ready to re-do the living room.  I honestly can't even find that setting -- although it would be different at the sides versus in the middle, right?

Garybills, it would make lots of sense to use a wall, but I'm at a loss to understand how a shelf is used here.  Any more detail?

Thanks all!

22 hours ago, AmyLynn said:

where I can't get the vertical beams to reach to the upper beam.

You are asking about a post or column. A beam is horizontal.

22 hours ago, AmyLynn said:

It's like it knows where the ceiling would have been and stops there.

That's exactly what is happening.

49 minutes ago, AmyLynn said:

Garybills, it would make lots of sense to use a wall, but I'm at a loss to understand how a shelf is used here.  Any more detail?

People typically use a soffit or the cube shape from the library to create a post when needed. A shelf would also work. Just think of a shape that represents a post -- it does not need to be a post in the software.

Place a shelf on the floor, then make it thicker (taller) so it reaches the beam above. 

People responding are often using Pro, or even one of the Chief Architect (not Home Designer) products and may not understand the limitations of Architectural.

Posts are in the general framing box next to the floor framing box in the top row. It looks like 4-5 vertical lines. Or try looking at your reference manual. You'll see posts, posts with footings, etc. Or just search for "closed", take that shape and make it the depth, width, height, and material it needs to be. Very simple