Trouble getting roof addition to line up with existing ridge

thebeedubya

Go to solution Solved by solver,

Hi everyone.  long time stalker here.  

I am translating my blue prints into a Home Designer Pro 2024 on Mac.  I am having issues trying to get the roof planes to align and manually mucking with it is not yielding me any results that I want.  The exitsting house has a 18' roof ridge that i need to match the rear addition to.

image.thumb.png.f7066653d92b0830ae75eeb3818616d8.png

Home Designer is bringing the roof ridge too low on the plane and is doing some weird things with the eves.  I am somewhat new to the software and I am sure it is all due to me being unskilled so I am hoping all of you out there can give me some guidance on what I need to do to make this right

The other issue that I am having is creating the attic into living space.  I have added the second level as per the tech note, but when I try to open up the stairwell, it says that a floor is missing.

Attached are my HDP 2024 files.  This is a work in progress so please don't beat on me too hard.  :)

Thanks!
Brad

Home Designer Pro 2024

Macbook Pro M3

Mac OS 14.3.1

2217Lindell_2.plan.zip

The software does not do anything on its own, rather it is programmed to follow programmed orders-commands or settings that exist or changed and set or not by its end user per session. So if the settings are wrong that is what you then get. Mastering this datum is key to mastering this software: find the improper settings, correct them and have success.

I have also observed that it takes longer to straighten  out a missed up plan compared to one that was done properly and insequence.

Learn all of the settings for roofs that are to be found in the "Build Roof Dialog - Roof Styles" tab for most common settings for auto-building roofs. Ceiling heights and also an important settings so they match your roof plate heights and your room ceiling heights.

DJP

Eric.  Amazing.  My roof now lines up.

In regard to the second floor i must have completed an undo action before i saved and uploaded my file.  The problem that I have right now, is that when I try to create the stairwell for the stairs, I get a no floor above error.  Addtionally when I try to add the dormers that are on the plan, i am getting a "another dormer too close error". 

Thank you so much for all the tips on turning off the noise.  I just started building this back in November and I kept saying I'll go back and finish the roof later.   Today was my later!!

here is an updated copy of my file and a PDF of my plans.   You finally have made some sense of all of this for me. I had the very basic primitives, but you really made things come into light.  Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

image.thumb.png.d19bdc901fada1900678208746c38fa8.png

Brad

image.png

2217Lindell_2 2.plan.zip 2217LindellAveBlueprints.pdf

Ok, I figured out the domer I was trying to build it in 3d view and that was causing all kinds of headaches.   All good there, now just need to figure out the stairs, and I think I'll have my digital twin fixed.  Thank you again for all the help!  A friend of mine told me this was the best, forum on the internet. I would say so.  That video was just what I needed!