Foundation Walls

English

Go to solution Solved by Kbird1,

Sorry if this is a simple question but I am using the demo version as I'm thinking of transitioning from ACAD Architecture and it's a steep learning curve. I am trying to add a new foundation wall to an existing 9' high basement so I can add some bump outs to the first floor. This new foundation needs to have its top at the same height as the existing wall but only be 36" high. The issue I'm having is that I cannot seem to specify the bottom elevation or the height of the wall -- it keeps adding a full height wall. In the wall structure dialog window the default wall top and bottom heights are grayed out.

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks
Alan

Alan, welcome to the forum. Home Designer Makes four different programs, all similar in capabilities but different in ability to do certain things. Eric said and I agree that knowing which trial version you have would assist anyone who tries to help you with an answer specific to what you are using.

DJP

I'm using the Pro version of HD.  

KBird

Thanks for the video.  That seems like a workaround.  Why should I need to create a wall so that I can create a foundation -- that seems backwards.   I should be able to create my foundation first shouldn't I?

Thanks  

Alan

You don't need to build a wall in order to build a foundation -- see my image above.

The software is designed to build the first floor, then up for the roof and additional floors, and down for the basement/foundation. You don't need to follow this sequence, but it will be be more work for you.

It helps if you post screen captures or the plan so we may understand what you are doing.

• Solution

I'm using the Pro version of HD.  

KBird

Thanks for the video.  That seems like a workaround.  Why should I need to create a wall so that I can create a foundation -- that seems backwards.   I should be able to create my foundation first shouldn't I?

Thanks  

Alan

That's not how the "software thinks"  , it is programmed to build level 1, then level 2 ,then the attic/roof and finally when done, the foundation... you can make the software work ,how you

build it in the real world , yes , but it'll be more work as pointed out by Eric. ...a lot more effort than the 3 minutes it took me to do the other way.

When you rebuild the foundation it automatically cuts out the wall in the foundation for the new bumps outs , but because you want it on 36" (37 1/2 with sill plate) you have to put the full height (100 1/2 (96 1/2") basement)   wall back 1st.