Sign in to follow this  
dgallagher

Creating a breakfast nook from a gabled room

I am currently attempting to add a breakfast nook to a plan I am working on ad it is not allowing me to run the roof into the wall it is constantly trying to attach it to the roof line that is a storey above. I am going from a family room/kitchen area that has a high ceiling into a nook that would have a standard height ceiling. Very frustrating!!!

Can you post the plan so we can see what you are trying to do?  And, what product & version you are using.

I modified the roof manually in planview using HD Pro very quickly. If you don't have Pro, for the automatic roof to work, I did these steps:

1. Remove the setting for the walls to extend the roof downward
  2. Make the wall thickness is the same as wall 3 and align collinear; set to high shed gable
  3. Set wall 3 to high shed gable; and do the same to the wall in the attic; then, for the attic wall align it with the wall below
  4. Lower the nook ceiling height ½” – not sure why…
  5. Set wall 5 to full gable

post-8-0-37655100-1423422483_thumb.jpg

Tried those steps and ended up with a roof like what is attached. I am using Home designer suite 2015. When I remove the roof on the nook the walls are doing what they are supposed to. I appreciate your help thus far. Thank you.

Fellas House Weird Roof.plan

You are very close!  I did two things to your plan:

1. aligned the invisible wall in your nook to the outside of the wall

2. aligned the attic wall with the wall below.

and,

3. I noticed a wrinkle in your roof on the opposite side, so I made your ceiling the same height in your entry (it was different by 1/8" than your other rooms).

post-8-0-46033800-1423546489_thumb.jpg

Fellas House Weird Roof-2.plan

post-8-0-60656600-1423547493_thumb.jpg

Also, you have not built the garage correctly.

You need to name it's room type as 'garage', then you need to build>floor>build foundation.