Gable roof lines

CathyK

Hello.  I am struggling with the gable roof planes joining above the bonus room over the garage.  They are coming in at different heights.

There is also an extra gable roof line on the side of the house. 

Home Designer Architectural

Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 12.40.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 1.00.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 1.00.51 PM.png

Yes, this is an existing home.  I am creating a current plan before drawing changes for the remodel.

This is my 3rd attempt to get this correct.  I initially did a 1.5 story and then a 2 story plan.  This one I created a 2 story and made the portions that are not full story changed the ceiling height to 6 inches while I get the roofline corrected. 

Thanks!

IMG_0124.jpeg

2390 Greenwood Current Saltbox.plan

This is pretty close to what you want, but I don't even remember how many adjustments I made  (lots of them).

I had to move some walls, and change some roof pitches on some walls, to get auto roof to behave.   This indicates that you really need to re-measure your dimensions.   A lot of the walls are set as incorrect wall types.  Everything matters.

I did find out that the dormer walls that contact the large gable wall  (garage side) was messing up the roof build (gable) on that large wall (as shown in your pic).

The 2d pic shows a work-around for that problem.

The crazy garage ridge line, was tamed by altering the east wall and west wall pitches (back and forth, trial and error)), and neither one of them are the same pitch.

image.thumb.png.3bfdc7c21d21e30b5689b2a23e00603b.png   image.thumb.png.025899d9f42f24c4ea8c6d225920ac49.png  image.thumb.png.8ef4312f856ebf1e94607b9ff5df6b8f.png

Plans done or corrected in a trial version of the software can not be saved.

First thing you need to do, is to clean it up...correct all the wall types on the 2nd floor and the attic level.  This will then require re-aligning them with other walls,  and also with parallel walls.

Next thing I did, was to lower the ceiling in the large room (2nd floor) to 86"  (it can always be raised back up AFTER auto-build roof has been turned OFF).

I set the west wall roof of the garage to 7.5" and left the east wall at 10" (working on 2nd floor)

This closes the ridge gap, but it also leaves the roof a little lop-sided. 

It is what it is, with auto-build roof, and the current position of the walls.

Also, the roof pitch on the north wall of the family room (1st floor) was raised to 11".

14 hours ago, Jo_Ann said:

This is pretty close to what you want, but I don't even remember how many adjustments I made  (lots of them).

I had to move some walls, and change some roof pitches on some walls, to get auto roof to behave.   This indicates that you really need to re-measure your dimensions.   A lot of the walls are set as incorrect wall types.  Everything matters.

I did find out that the dormer walls that contact the large gable wall  (garage side) was messing up the roof build (gable) on that large wall (as shown in your pic).

The 2d pic shows a work-around for that problem.

The crazy garage ridge line, was tamed by altering the east wall and west wall pitches (back and forth, trial and error)), and neither one of them are the same pitch.

image.thumb.png.3bfdc7c21d21e30b5689b2a23e00603b.png   image.thumb.png.025899d9f42f24c4ea8c6d225920ac49.png  image.thumb.png.8ef4312f856ebf1e94607b9ff5df6b8f.png

I don't know why you find those instructions to be frustrating.

You can skip the wall type clean-up, but the house model will look bad.

Just do the dormer settings, the garage west wall roof pitch, and the family room (1st floor) north wall roof pitch.

DONE, and simple.

6 minutes ago, CathyK said:

I will have to upgrade to the Pro version.

That is what I thought after seeing the geometry of your home in the first place but let me say this: upgrading to Pro only provides additional tools for roof editing and designing, those tools must be learned, studied and mastered in order to then empower you to then do what needs doing, the software by itself is merely mechanical and robotic. It is you who must add the guidance and competence to actually create a product that you desire.

DJP