Building Out An Attic - Newbie Questions

mijoryan

Apologies for any simple/stupid questions on building out an attic, which has very high ceilings.

1. steps to get the roof right (no flat ceiling just insulation & some beams)? i realize there's advise on turning auto roof on/off but unsure.

2.how to get the "opening" for the stairs coming from below?

3. how to build a two steps down from going north to south?

4. advice on putting in skylights (when i get the nerve!).Camlez Play 1.plan

Plan attached as well as some photos.

Attic North 1.jpg

Backyard 18.jpg

Attic South 7.JPG

Ext Manor 10.JPG

I've not looked at the plan.

You need to make your "attic" a numbered floor. 

When you build the roof, use Ignore Top Floor, or reduce the ceiling height on the top floor, build the roof, then turn off auto rebuild.

Where is this located?

30 minutes ago, mijoryan said:

3. how to build a two steps down from going north to south?

Don't understand this, and are directions indicated on the plan?

31 minutes ago, mijoryan said:

2.how to get the "opening" for the stairs coming from below?

Read about/watch videos about stairs. Some general links below.

----

Resources for self help:

The built in Help System (always a good place to start)

Home Designer - Getting Started - Setting Preferences and Defaults

Eric, thanks for the quick reply. I did make the attic a numbered floor (3rd) but the roof is built on the second floor - a pretty funny visual.

I'm not sure what you mean by "build the roof" as I don't have any sophisticated roof tools in my version but I'll try your steps.

The house is located in Northern Brittany (France).

"Silly" outcomes come from uninformed (guessing) settings. The key to this software is through careful study followed by practice or looking to find out without guessing. Competence comes from YOUR knowledge of the software tool you are using/guiding to a product.
https://youtu.be/5kFCWT37R7M  Link to a YouTube Video PLEASE COPY-PASTE THIS LINK INTO A BROWSER ADDRESS WINDOW TO VIEW

DJP

David, I can't thank you enough for your quick reply! Very patient & methodical approach. Very easy to understand video!

I can follow on a new plan & will tinker a bit with that, following your video, and then try to fix my plan.

The software steps can be a bit non-intuitive (it appears as if it is ignoring the top floor when indeed it is not checked).

Thanks again & I'll give an update after i've tried on my own a few times, following your tips. Thanks!!!!!

After a dozen tries, i finally found the issue. I had labeled the two rooms on the third floor as "attic" room type which evidently prevents the program from building a roof, despite all teh other settings (eg floor 3 defaults) telling it to. Not at all obvious, at least to me...

On to the next challenge speaking HD-ese. Not always very intuitive...

thanks again for the help and i still have a few more questions.