Centering tool in suite?

Florabama

Trying to center a window between a door and an exterior wall in Suite 2020. I centered the door just fine. I placed the door, selected it, clicked the centering tool then clicked in the room. The door went perfectly to the center of the exterior wall. Then placed windows on either side of the door. Selected one window and clicked the centering tool. No matter where I click in the room or on the wall, the window ends up either directly on top of the door or against the exterior wall. Any help would be appreciated. 

Hi There. The centering tool uses a point of reference to "center" your object. If you click on the door ( as you have done) and center it to the middle of the room (there will be a horizontal line indicating this). If you then click on the window and center it using the same mid-room line it will center over the same door as you are choosing the same room mid-line as the door. There are several "snap" lines you can use to center objects, ie walls, other windows, rooms, roof etc, but they are usually perpendicular. You cant use the center tool to "center" sidelights next to a door because there is no center reference point. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks for your answers. It sounds like you're telling me that I can only center one object on a wall with the centering tool. If by "dimensions" you mean, selecting the window and moving it until the dimensions on each side of the window are equal, I have tried that and it is, at least for me, nearly impossible to get it exact. It seems to move in a jerky fashion and it moves either too far or not enough. Is there some other way to "dimension" it? 

19 minutes ago, Florabama said:

Is there some other way to "dimension" it?

With Temporary Dimensions turned on, select the window. You should see dimensions between the window and wall, and window and door. Use one of them to move the window.

58 minutes ago, solver said:

See the hour long webinars on YouTube linked below for some general how to use the program info.

And ...

Answers often depend on which title (Suite, Pro etc) and version (2018, 2019 etc) you are using.

You can help everyone by adding this info to your signature (see below for how to turn them on) by clicking on your user name at the top right of the page, click Account Settings, then Signature on the left.

Doing so makes it always available, and keeps others from having to hunt for it.

And, turn on signature display too.

SIG.thumb.jpg.af17109346e9446432098056e258623d.jpg

----

Resources for self help:

The built in Help System (always a good place to start)

Thank you. I will include in my signature but I did include in my OP. "Trying to center a window between a door and an exterior wall in Suite 2020." 

What I do is build a temporary partly wall in the room (from an opposite wall to about halfway the room). Center this new wall in the room. Now it is possible to center the window in this half room. The temporary wall can now be removed. When you want more windows this division can be repeated to divide the room in 4 parts. Also remember it is possible to select multiple objects and center the entire group (you often find that centering things just doesn't look right, so place two windows where they look about right, select them both and center).

8 hours ago, JFBeute said:

What I do is build a temporary partly wall in the room (from an opposite wall to about halfway the room). Center this new wall in the room. Now it is possible to center the window in this half room. The temporary wall can now be removed. When you want more windows this division can be repeated to divide the room in 4 parts. Also remember it is possible to select multiple objects and center the entire group (you often find that centering things just doesn't look right, so place two windows where they look about right, select them both and center).

That's a great idea. Thanks! If the door is already in the center of the room, can I build a wall to the door, then use the wall to center the windows on either side of the door? Then, of course, delete the wall? 

That worked perfectly. I built an interior wall to the door and centered the wall in the middle of the room, then centered the windows on either side of the door using the interior wall. Then deleted the wall leaving my windows centered on the door. Thank you, JFBeute! 

The reason for building the wall only to half the room is that when building it through the entire room you'll end up with two rooms and centering the wall on the original room is no longer possible (you might still be able to center on the outside wall or something else). By building over half the width you still have the original room so you can center on both the original room along one wall and along the other wall on the center of the half room.