Walls at Intermediate Stair Landing

CCarpenter

I have a multi-level U or switchback stair. On the 2nd floor along the hallway on one side is a railing. On the run from the 2nd to 3rd floor  I would like a wall starting at the intermediate landing  to the underside of the 3rd floor. The program automatically generated a railing and a railings up the run where  there should only be a handrail along the wall. How can I close off this space with a wall? I tried extending the run & landing out under the 3rd floor wall and drawing a wall on top of the stair but, that resulted in a wall covering up the 2nd floor hallway railing. Thanks! HDP 2020

Stair Landing.JPG

Stair landing 2.JPG

Stair Landing 3.JPG

8 hours ago, CCarpenter said:

The program automatically generated a railing and a railings up the run where  there should only be a handrail along the wall.

Open the railing (it's just a wall marked to be a railing) and change it from a railing to a normal wall.

There isn't anything special about the auto generated stair railings.

I skimmed your post quickly and probably gave you some wrong info.

Railings may be turned on or off in the Stair dialog, or they will automatically see a wall next to them and change to wall mounted handrail.

Landings work much the same. If you click on an edge then look in the Edit Toolbar, you will see a tool that removes the railing on that edge.

If you use the Auto Stairwell tool, it generates railing walls that may be selected as I suggested above.

2 hours ago, CCarpenter said:

How do you open the railing?

On a "stair landing object" you click-select the landing edge you wish to edit by selecting and then opening its dialog where in its dialog you will see a checkbox: "No railing on this edge". Checking that checkbox will remove the railing, unchecking it will put the railing back visually. See if  that helps.

DJP

• Like 1

So I understand how to turn railings on & off on both stairs & landings. I also understand how to change railing types. However, what I am trying to do is have a wall at the intermediate landing and along the stair run to the underside of the 3rd floor. Then a wall hand rail along the stair run. In the images I posted esentially I'd be swapping those railings for walls. It would be open below the landing and stair run to the 2nd floor.

Try taking a section through the stair and marking where and what shape you want the wall to give us a better understanding.

You will need to draw in any walls, and you may consider using a room with a raised or lowered floor for the landing.

Sorry it took a couple of days but, here's a snippet, it's hard to get a good angle.  I've marked it up and hopefully this will help convey what I'm trying to do. Basically the intermediate landing is about 3'-4" below the underside of the 3rd floor so, I am trying to fill that and the stair run in with wall while leaving it open below. There should also be just a wall railing along the run as well. No railings at the landing or stair run. Thanks for your help!

Stair landing 2-3.pdf