Trouble with gable roof and dormers

dourofam

Hi there,

I'm using Home Designer Architectural 2017 and trying to replicate a roof design with a gable roof, 10/12 pitch, extending over front and back porches, and dormers over each porch.

One gable end looks good, but the other side has an area that bumps out from the main exterior wall to house a fireplace and chimney. When I attempt a gable on that end the gable only appears on half the wall. I've tried using the gable line to extend the gable to the back porch but it's not working.

Also unable to draw dormers on the roof. When I try I get a message "Dormer roof does not meet base roof, probably near the top. You may need to move the dormer down the roof or lower its height."

Not sure what I'm missing. 

I've attached my plans and a couple of renderings showing what it should look like.  Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Heather

mh-v1.1.plan

clark1.jpg

clark5.jpg

1) Please fill out your Signature -- see below.

2) Your 2nd floor should look like this.

Snap9.thumb.png.d2f68b041b8f40044bd9d2d0bbd9306e.pngSnap8.thumb.png.76a7396f6b936a4f2273c2ef4aaa3c72.png

Raise the ceiling height in the center room to whatever it is, and make the rooms to each side 1-1/2" ceiling height.

You should use a brick wall where your house has brick walls, and not a siding wall with brick painted on.

Use a room divider wall to partition the fireplace bumpout into its own room, and turn off the roof -- one problem at a time.

Uncheck Ignore 2nd floor. Build the roof, see how it looks.

Once the roof is correct, you will not rebuild it, and will be able to change interior walls as needed.

--------------

It helps if we know what title (Suite, Pro etc) and version (2014, 2015 etc) you are using. You can add this info to your signature by clicking on your user name at the top right of the page, click Account Settings, then Signature on the left. Doing so makes it always available, and this info is often key to providing a good suggestion

Resources for self help:

The built in Help System (always a good place to start)

I used a different approach.

Back porch, west side railing wall needs to be set as full gable.
You have the build roof dialog set to 'ignore 2nd floor'.  Uncheck it.
Now you need to lower the 2nd floor finished ceiling to 60", so it will blend into the porch roof  (reset height after you turn off rebuild roof).
The 2nd floor needs to extend out over the porch for a dormer:
 Draw 3 new walls for the dormer.  Break the original front wall of the house at each dormer side wall.    Drag the original front wall back into the house until the roof looks correct   (don't forget to set the dormer front wall as gable).   Open the dormer room and set the finished ceiling height to about 88", or whatever sets the height of the roof correctly.

dourofam roof.JPG