transform replicate tool

crosscutter55

H D pro 2017

i am using the transform replicate tool to check the framing dimensions for a deck . If i draw a sq with rough dimensions of the the deck , i would like to start the decking at the sliding door ( North )  and replicate them heading south , can this be done & if so how  ? ! am assuming i would use the y axis and input the board width 5 9/16  and input the  copy amount 

try what lol didnt see any response :(  another question  though ,  how do i set the end of a rectanlge to a perfect 45 degree angle ?? i am trying to get EXACT LOCATIONS FOR FRAMING . Used a polyline and broke lines at points of the deck , i want framing and cuts on deck boards to be EXACT . THE MATH IS ONE PART BUT I FEEL OR BELIEVE  I SHOULD BE ABLE TO KNOW THESE CUTS WITH CAD TOOLS , CAN I  ?? 

I CAN ONLY GET THE TRANSFORM REPLICATE  TOOL TO WORK FROM SOUTH TO NORTH :(

How are you using "Transform-Replicate" to check the spacing? (You first must do the math to set up the transform-replicate tool before using it) I do not understand why you seem to be making a simple layout problem complicated. I am not a carpenter, I have never built an actual deck myself but I have drawn plans for countless decks and other structures.You allow enough space for the planks and that is all, keeping in mind that dimensional lumber is not as "perfect" in the real world as it may seem in a virtual environment of a computer. It is quite common that once my plans are printed that the builder and or client then do something slightly different. It is not terribly important as long as the planning of the plan is generally followed.

I haven't  posted until now because I fail to understand the need for perfection in an object that is inherently imperfect. You have a target dimension of the deck (x and y), do the math and then layout the framing, done.

DJP

i am  a finish carpenter , and i  always say to people in construction a change anywhere is a change everywhere . This isnt dimensional lumber it is composite . 

composite lumber ripped looks horriable !! that is why i want to rip the first board north to a proper dimension for the 5'1" space to work out perfectly . plus i am still proving to myself how accurate the program is as i learn some of these tools . i have used polylines and did the math then checked where the decking would fall 

the true dimension of composite is 5 7/16 " so i added  1/8 spacing as per the manufacturer , which is 5 9/16 then divded it up i wouldnt want a small piece anywhere on the deck .All these elemnets have to be considered joist lengthes , if the person decieds to add a double board on the outside rim for added look , so the 2x 10 does not look so large & blah . The set back of the framing in relation to the deck boards considering deck board overhang & added fascia boards to cover the raw wolm. lumber should also so be considered  i dont want the picture frame deck boards to differ in dim. from a stair thread overhang 

These are   all issues i have seen changed once a contractor talks to a client , then  the dimensions of the plan are the blame !! So i exsplain these options prior to starting 

as to using transform replicate i have placed a close # of copies based on math for the deck distance using the y axis & saying 5 9/16 it will work fine if i want it to go south to north , is there a way to get it to produce the copies going north to south