Modifying Window Objects - Capability & Limitation Characteristics

Numbers

To whom it may concern,

The following post is meant to understand the characteristics of how Home Designer Software product handles "Window Objects" in any of the 3D views.

Background:
During a learning exercise, there was an attempt to understanding how "Window Objects" work with respect to wall objects.  In a exercise that was conducted, a building with 4 floors was created using the floor plan mode.  Each floor was aligned to the floor below it using the "Below Floor Alignment" button.  Several views of this building were taken using various 3D camera perspectives.  Once that was accomplish, the decision to incorporate a "Window Object was made.  A "Window Object" was selected from the menu and applied to the wall of the building, for the 1st floor.  This process was than repeated, and one "Window Object" was place on each of the three remaining floors.  For a total of four "Window Objects", all facing one side of the building having been added.  For this exploration, a "Pass-Through" type "Window Object" was used.  Of all of the "Window Objects" that where placed, each "Window Object" were place in such a way as to not be stacked either above or below any of the other "Window Objects" on any of the other floors.  Meaning, each "Window Object" had its own column of wall that it could be move up or down in, or be stretch to occupy.

It was than at this point the decision to expand each "Window Object" across the different floors was looked into.  Not knowing exactly how to do this, there was a recollection to a recent article, dated July 16, 2015, that had be written and posted within the "Knowledge Base" center of Chief Architect website, that explain how to do this very thing.  After reviewing the article and applying the techniques for each of the four "Window Objects" a strange thing was observed.

When the "Window Object" on the first floor was stretched vertically, both up or down, passed the height of the ceiling and floor, the "Window Object" would only display, in addition to the floor itself, one floor of interior space above and one floor below that placement location; including the foundation.  So, only the 3rd floor and foundation interior space could be view, but nothing of the floors above the 2nd.  Regardless of how far the handles, even when using the ctrl button, were pulled into the higher floors.  This manifestation continued for the other "Window Objects" but with slightly different results.

If a "Window Object" was placed on the 2nd floor and stretched vertically, in-addition too the floor itself, would only displayed the 1st and 3rd floors.  Regardless if the handles were stretched above and into the 4th floor or below and into the foundation floor.

If a "Window Object" was placed on the 3rd floor and stretched vertically, in-addition too the floor itself, would only displayed the 2nd and 4th floors.  Regardless if the handles were stretched below and into the 1st floor or below and into the foundation floor.

If a "Window Object" was placed on the 4th floor and stretched vertically, in-addition too the floor itself, would only displayed the 2nd and 3rd floors.  Regardless if the handles were stretched below and into the 1st floor or below and into the foundation floor.

Lastly, regardless of there physical placement location, neither of any of the "Window Objects" allowed for the expansion of that "Window Object" in any one direction beyond one floor.

Reference:
https://www.homedesignersoftware.com/support/article/KB-00205/allowing-windows-to-span-across-multiple-floors.html

Question:
Is this as design, or is this a limitation of the program, a bug within the software, a quark of how the software functions, or some other issue?

Problem:
Assuming this result is not due to operator error, this limitation limits the user's ability to create "Window Objects" that can be stretched beyond a total of three floors. It also limits the user's ability to adjust said "Window Object" based on its placement location beyond one floor in either direction.

Solution Objective:
To obtain a functional and/or primary method for displaying "Window Objects" beyond three total floors, and higher and lower than one floor based on its placement location in any of the 3D views.
or
Obtain a secondary alternative means for accomplishing the same net result.

Suggestion:
To-Be-Determine (TBD), awaiting feedback, based on response to posting.

Thank You.

One can override 3D object parameters by using the "Control Key" and then drag an edge handle which overrides the objects default behavior (this is not a matter or user error but rather a lack of user knowledge). That is not to say that there are physical limitations built into the software, there are some but there is much one can do within those boundaries. Some of these methods are in the Reference Manual and Users Guide and some of these I have learned by myself or in concert with other users via Home Talk and Chief Talk.

I am not sure what you mean by "...beyond three total floors" in that Home Designer software titles are by default limited to three floors (basement-floor 0, first floor-floor 1 and second floor-floor 2).

There are other factors that can effect window placement in a clerestory environment like whether or not the space is properly programmed (by you) for a clerestory condition (see Reference Manual for further data).

I appreciate the obvious care you have expended to communicate your problems but a screen image capture or plan copy then allows greater clarity of understanding to those who would respond to help.

DJP

Mr. Potter,

Thank you for your feedback.

In reference to the first part of your posting, I did use the control key button; as I had mention in my original post and sited in reference link.  Unfortunately, using the control button did not produced the expectation.  To help illustrate what I attempted to do in words, I took  a couple of screen shots to show you what I am referring to.

Attached are 3 images of the issue I am seeing.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thank you.

post-5425-0-91235300-1452560236_thumb.jpg

post-5425-0-81339500-1452560243_thumb.jpg

post-5425-0-19696600-1452560253_thumb.jpg

Eric,

As I do not have any true plan, I do however have is some screen shots.  Please reference my posting at 4:59 PM.  It is my hope that these images are sufficient enough for you and Mr. Potter to see what I was attempting to do.

If you referring to some type of specific illustration, I would need a little more information on what kind exactly.

Thank you.

Eric,

Thank you again for responds. 

I am still new, so I will have to look into and figuring out how to get a plan and attach said plan to said post.  This may take me a try or two. 

As for your point about the little things making a big difference, you are absolutely right. The small things do matter.  And in the future, I hope to be able to recognize those little things myself.  But because this exercise was a trial and error exercise, I do not know enough to recognize if something is the cause of my problem. 

Lastly, to your point of being able to offer up more information when posting, I like this suggestion, and will have to apply this approach to the next post.

For now, I am running Pro 2016, with the build 17.3.2.2x64, dated September 14, 2015.

Thank you.

Eric,

I am glad that I was able to provide you with the information you were looking for.  In accordance with your suggestion, I shall submit a ticket for assistance with the tech support folks regarding this matter.

Thank you.

Kat,

Thank you for your input on this matter.  I took the information that you offered and I re-looked at my model.  I like to started off by saying, you are correct to point out the differences between the model that I had created and the article that was written in the Knowledge Base Center.  It was because of that point, that I thought you were on to something.  I thought maybe the fact that my model had floors and the article was stretching a window across an open area that didn't have a floor butting up against a "Window Object", that maybe that was having an impact on the results that I was getting.  So, I tested your theory,  I took the same model and remove all the floors, by making them "Open Below" space.  The result unfortunately, did not change.  I deleted the window objects, I refresh the camera view and I reinserted new "Window Objects" and there was no change to the end results. 

As for your point about a real world scenario, well that is a different matter.  The fact that I may or may not every have a need to create a window that stretches across multiple floors was not the point of why I was asking the question.  The point of asking the question was to understand what I can and cannot do with the software I just bought.  Also, I want to know how much of my creativity I will be able to employ and how much of it will be limited. 

But I do acknowledge your statement as a valid point to consider in the creation process.

Thank you.

I would suggest starting with going through the User's Guide and videos, rather than just trying random things and getting frustrated with limitations before you even get to start your real project.

That being said though, you might want to go ahead and send this in to the company's support people, they might have some further insight.

• Upvote 1

Kat,

Thank you for your thoughts.  But nothing I am doing now is even close to be call frustrating.  What I am doing now is, building confidence in software program I just got done spending a bunch of money on.  In addition, I am trying to assess how intuitive things are, where buttons are, and what I need to learn.  And yes, while I have been studying the User Guide and watching the various videos, none of that would of help me with discovering the thing i did find.  It was because I did things the way i did that uncovered this issue.  And at least according to the tech folks, if their response is to be believe, does in fact need a fix. Understand, I am new to this software,  I don't claim to understand what those limitations are. I must unlearn what I have learned, if I wish to one day employ this software program to its full capability.  

Thank you.