Pro framing view anomaly

scott_v

Check out the attached screen shot of the orthographic framing view.  Look at the horizontal dbl top plate...notice how the left end looks normal but the right end changes direction.  Rotated from different directions doesn't change it.  What am I looking at there?

Also, how do I get rid of the double top plate sitting on the rake?  I see no need for it, the end rafter is sitting on the walls.

Framing Detail Anomaly.pdf

Post the plan file so we can have a look.

As for getting rid of the double top plate sitting on the rake, here is my theory.

That gable end is a wall to the software, and walls are framed with a double top plate. I don't believe you can change that on a per wall basis.

Not on a per Wall Basis no , you can set them all to be 1 layer , 2, 3, etc , but a wall is a wall to Pro as Eric said.

Only way I know , is to do it Manually, since you have Pro I think, it's possible , delete the 2nd rake Top plate and pull the studs up to meet the single top plate in and Elevation view ( works in 3D too but not very accurate ,best be in Vector view so you see the individual members.) And don't ever rebuild your Framing your you'll need to do it again....(auto 2 plates is on)

M.

post-25-0-64284600-1441846296_thumb.jpg

Post the plan file so we can have a look.

As for getting rid of the double top plate sitting on the rake, here is my theory.

That gable end is a wall to the software, and walls are framed with a double top plate. I don't believe you can change that on a per wall basis.

I came to the same conclusion as well.  Problem is it's adding 54 lf of 2 x 6 to my cut list.  I'm going to have to figure out a way to eliminate them manually. 

Post the plan and update your Sig. then we can advise....

looks like User Error to me....

M.

Not user error.  The anomaly disappeared after I powered down my MacBook Pro, OS X 10.9.5 and rebooted.

This is the second instance where I had to power down my machine to correct a 3-D graphics problem.  The first was yesterday when changes I had made were not visible in 3-D.  I sent tech support the plan, the tech was able to open and view without issue.   When I told him I was working on a Mac he immediately suggested I power down and reboot.  It fixed the problem.  He hinted that this was not the first time he has encountered this issue with Mac.  I asked him if there a technical note available that I could take to Apple.  He said no.  He strongly suggested that I hard boot the computer several times daily.  

Any other Apple users here encounter 3-D graphics display issues?

I'll post an update if this occurs again.

Hitting F12 frequently to rebuild Walls /floors/ceilings and hitting Save (Ctrl-S) frequently too is always a good idea in HD Software. F12 is one of my mouse buttons now as it doesn't always update automatically , there is info in the manual about it , I'm surprised the Tech didn't mention it too. Their is also the Rebuild 3D icon on the 3D menu or wherever you place it with a custom toolbar. 

the reboot your computer once a day is a windows thing too and the 1st recommendation if you see weird things happening in HD, but I am not aware of any MAC specific Errors graphically or otherwise , at least not reported here or CT.

I see/saw either two different roof planes or the RH wall is shorter than the Left , neither happened by itself , which is why I asked too look at the plan. Closing the plan would of updated it automatically which is why support saw nothing in this case.

Hitting F12 frequently to rebuild Walls /floors/ceilings and hitting Save (Ctrl-S) frequently too is always a good idea in HD Software. F12 is one of my mouse buttons now as it doesn't always update automatically , there is info in the manual about it , I'm surprised the Tech didn't mention it too. Their is also the Rebuild 3D icon on the 3D menu or wherever you place it with a custom toolbar. 

the reboot your computer once a day is a windows thing too and the 1st recommendation if you see weird things happening in HD, but I am not aware of any MAC specific Errors graphically or otherwise , at least not reported here or CT.

I see/saw either two different roof planes or the RH wall is shorter than the Left , neither happened by itself , which is why I asked too look at the plan. Closing the plan would of updated it automatically which is why support saw nothing in this case.

Maybe it would help if I explained in a bit more detail.

The first issue when I called tech support 2 days ago was that inexplicably in 3D view the ceiling joists began appearing directly on top of the slab and the wall and roof framing had completely vanished.  The tech support guy walked me through several cycles of rebuilding with no change.  He then had me save and reopen the file.  Same result.  He then had me close and reopen the application and went through another iteration of rebuilding walls/roof....same result:  roof and walls not appearing in 3D and ceiling joists sitting directly on the slab.  At that point he asked for the plan.  He said it worked on his end and sent it back to me renamed.  At that point asked be to power down the Mac, power it up and open the app.  I opened the file and it worked.  It was clear from his comments that this was something he had encountered previously with Mac users.

The incident yesterday was similar in that the graphic display was distorted.  I had been working Framing Reference Marker to position wall studs and had not made any changes to wall heights or roof plans, at least not knowingly.  When I went to 3-D to view my stud positioning in the framing view I noticed the graphic display problem noted above.  I tried rebuilding several times to no avail.  At that point I hard booted the Mac and it fixed the problem.

I run Excel for Mac and have had display issues in that application as well .  

more detail is always good :)

I wasn't inferring there aren't Mac issues , I just haven't seen any reported here or on Chieftalk , there are "known" weirdness issues it seems if you are the type that doesn't turn there Computer off Daily and just lets it sleep for days or weeks at a time before a reboot ,and at least on the PC side rebooting at least once a day seems to cure most of it in the latest versions.

M.