Walkout Bungalow - Struggling with Garage Foundation Slab / Stem Walls

dantappin

Pretty new (2 days) to Home Designer - great software - just need to get the hang of this.  I have a house on a sloped lot.

image.thumb.png.9ae8a522664f3a2708e9a024f9d6e1a0.png

image.thumb.png.3053ec2d2df36548c80f0fe08c5a34f4.png

image.thumb.png.7798a28de34b939b3ce76da49b281694.png

The basement / walkout is level one and the main floor the garage which is down around 2 feet from the main floor.  When I added the garage the floor was missing and the terrain open to below.

I tried everything and ended up what I think is hacking this.  I created a slab on the 1st floor and played withe the elevations etc until the floor met the second floor garage elevations.

image.thumb.png.2ea2265f178c34f6172d4eff42063b63.png

image.thumb.png.2b659cb8ed4fb5ab80de71dec1bfc86a.png 

The problems I see / have are:

- I want a stem wall around the garage

- I tried to add them to first floor foundation but the garage doors won't break them and the slab was too deep

- I suspect that the back portion of the garage will beed a full basement footing wall based on the slope

image.thumb.png.42f6957039590594b7b800ca7ce167fc.png

I may be missing a basic feature / function here so please feel free to point out the obvious to me.

Thanks,

Dan

image.png

Hmmm... I am sure I started that way and ran into problems - perhaps my in experience.  So if I fix this then the garage added on to level 1 should work ok?

Hoping I can just use the 'exchange floor' tool.

I know it's a big jump in price, but Pro has features that may be helpful in creating an accurate model.

I'm unsure about Architectural, but many of the Chief Architect, and some HD Pro users prefer to use 0 for the foundation, 1 for the walkout and 2 for the 1st floor.

Suggest you experiment to find what works best for you.

2 hours ago, dantappin said:

I created a slab on the 1st floor and played withe the elevations etc until the floor met the second floor garage elevations.

That's a last resort. Always try to use the room supplied floor and not a manually drawn slab.

I was thinking that. I started at Arch based on the feature that I thought I needed and planned to upgrade down the road. I may use my 14 day money back guarantee and see if I can upgrade the difference now and save some money.

We are planning to GC this build ourselves and have like a 6-7 year planning schedule.

Finding that this package will be invaluable for this.

So I fixed that and got my floors sorted out - I still can't add stem walls to my garage - options greyed out:

image.thumb.png.06d2fc5e46d95d1e9d023517c9d356a7.png

Do I have to manually build the foundation now?  Auto-rebuild wipes my entire existing basement design with ICF walls.