Roof Design

JasonSJ

Looking to remove a small 130 sq.ft. deck on an old 1970's wood frame home and to add this area to my home, enlarging my kitchen, providing for some vaulted ceilings and making a better floor plan. I am having trouble with the roof design, in that I just don't like the only one I can think of that works, I am trying to avoid removing my entire trussed roof, and perhaps only disturb the area over the kitchen and part of the Living room and Family room. I currently have flat ceilings throughout the house, but would like this addition to allow for vaulted ceilings in the kitchen and maybe part of the Family room and Living room. I have attached the current floor plan 2636Plans as is.planwith deck and was not able to upload both, but have included some elevations Elevation new roofline.pdfElevation ne roof line 1.pdfof the new roofline I am not too keen on. Ideas?

Edited by JasonSJ
missing file attachment

On 6/30/2024 at 6:32 AM, JasonSJ said:

trussed

Are you certain that your existing roof structure is a truss system? If so I don't see any economical options so I would probably go with a different design approach. If you were hell bent on an open ceiling then you'd have to terminate the truss at your hall and throw in some post and girders under floor to pick up the load and then you could rebuild the second half. Expensive though. Not the right detail but to illustrate:

image.thumb.png.29eea89d3c00a5bd99154b94f3d433b9.png

Thank you for your reply;

Renerabbitt Yes, 4 sets of trusses, the front part of the home, the main part and the two short sections I am trying to combine. All of the bedroom have recently been remodeled so I am trying to find an option that does not include disturbing those 3 bedrooms.

Jo_Ann, New to the forum, I think I have done what you suggested in this reply.

Roof 1 a Elevation.dwg Roof1 Elevation.dwg

Jo_Ann,

Thank you, I have added mysignature, and now I understand the need for the posted jpg,  I wrongly assumed my file upload would be usable by everyone with Home Designer/Chief Architect.

The picture I posted above is the floorplan I want, but I do not like the roofline, looking for some alternative solution.

I have posted the current floor plan and elevation, then the floor plan I would like and elevation, with the only roof I can think of that preserves the recently remodeled bedroom portion of the home, yet provides for the option of vaulted ceilings in kitchen and all or part of the LR and FR. 

Current floorplan.jpg

Current elevation.jpg

Floor Plan after deck is enclosed.jpg

Desired Floorplan do not like roof.jpg

Jo_Ann, The elevations of each floor plan each have one Perspective Full Overview image, they should match(?) What is it that looks 'off'? Is there another view, or plan that might help?

49 minutes ago, JasonSJ said:

Jo_Ann, The elevations of each floor plan each have one Perspective Full Overview image, they should match(?) What is it that looks 'off'? Is there another view, or plan that might help?

Redoing the roof structure for an open ceiling is a significant expense that adds no value to the home. I would consider hiring a designer who can help you create the effect of a larger-looking space. From a financial advisory standpoint, this is when I would suggest selling the home and buying one that already has an open ceiling (without knowing all the details about the current home). Alternatively, design around the deck, create an atrium, and extend out (if the lot supports it) to have your new addition include an open ceiling.

Jo_Ann, Thank you! I like the lowered roofline, I am not certain I know where the interior image is. Can you raise the angle on your elevation to show more of the roof?

Renerabbit, Thank you, all ideas are appreciated!

I really don't understand why anyone would do this home as a truss roof....which makes me think that its not...but if it is, i bet the dutch gables are overframed. I don't think we are paying attention the cost implications of modifying a truss roof such as this. I bet comps in the area dont sustain sinking $80K into a roof re-framing, and thats a sunk investment since it adds no value to the home. Even what Jo-ann proposed would be a huge expense on the roof, cutting the center section of trusses, and redoing all the gable trusses...this is another complete re-frame. Also, go check under the house and scan that and see if there are pilings/piers/grade beam/post and girder at center bearing.
Again would advise against this...unless its not a truss system at the gables...point being...go take a scanner and scan up in the attic space and take some pix. I put my money on it being stick framed and that the hallway is center bearing midspan and youre on 2x4 or 2x6 rafters with collar ties...otherwise someone just really wanted to play around with trigonometry or these are track homes.

Jo_Ann, Thank you for the additional 'perspective view' of the first idea, as well as the second new idea. I really like the second one! I will work more with this one!

Solver, yes, you are correct, thank you. I should use better/proper terminology. I am clearly not a draftsman! I will check the houzze.com link, thank you for that as well!

Renerabbit; Thank you for your input, I appreciate any input, whether in favor, with ideas, or opposed to the entire project. I am aware this is a big undertaking and likely to be expensive which is why I am looking for some creative ideas. My primary goal is to update and enlarge our kitchen and to do this I feel that area which is now deck is the best option. The 'back'/bedroom portion of the home has already been modernized and remodeled, now this is the last portion that I feel needs help. My house is located in central California with the neighboring homes mostly newer, or remodeled. I think a project like this would be a good investment in this area. Below I will post a couple of poor (phone quality) pictures of our current truss roof framing;

IMG_2541.jpg

IMG_2542.jpg

5 hours ago, JasonSJ said:

Jo_Ann, Thank you for the additional 'perspective view' of the first idea, as well as the second new idea. I really like the second one! I will work more with this one!

Solver, yes, you are correct, thank you. I should use better/proper terminology. I am clearly not a draftsman! I will check the houzze.com link, thank you for that as well!

Renerabbit; Thank you for your input, I appreciate any input, whether in favor, with ideas, or opposed to the entire project. I am aware this is a big undertaking and likely to be expensive which is why I am looking for some creative ideas. My primary goal is to update and enlarge our kitchen and to do this I feel that area which is now deck is the best option. The 'back'/bedroom portion of the home has already been modernized and remodeled, now this is the last portion that I feel needs help. My house is located in central California with the neighboring homes mostly newer, or remodeled. I think a project like this would be a good investment in this area. Below I will post a couple of poor (phone quality) pictures of our current truss roof framing;

IMG_2541.jpg

IMG_2542.jpg

Have you checked sat view to see what neighbors have done a remodel on the same model home. I am from california and typically we can find multiple homes within the area with the same house plan. A heck of a lot cheaper just knocking on their door, being friendly, asking them about their lovely home and grabbing their floor plan.
So this is the truss roof for the hall and kitchen and bath, and the bottom chord is bearing on line A and E from this image:
image.thumb.png.b41e811b6dd4349bd053a98118a49a15.png
which means the gable trusses are overframed on the sheathing of your truss system. Also means your truss probably has a standing heel heigh at line B to create the eave overhang
So if you wanted a cost effective design you would not disturb this truss system which means you could modify this portion of the roof system without incurring cost on re-engineering the truss system:
image.thumb.png.aac7ea7abab89461b457fb51a2cf65ef.png
OR
get it re-engineered and cut your trusses at line C and if there isn't one already, support the wall at line C under floor. There likely is already support at line C as you have a ~25' span.
image.thumb.png.053146473a651f59631c9c89ae78dee7.png
You're in California so an engineer might make you sheer wall line C.
that means your, patching your trusses:
image.thumb.png.f3a2e8a6051ecef0987a2af74e08c433.png
and then braced wall up:
image.thumb.png.f1cc51085c5bae3c872575208a241c6a.png

If you were my client I'd be asking you a ton of questions such as how long do you plan on living here...projected return on investment over time, comps, are you pulling equity from the home etc.
Depending on your answers I might try and convince you to add additional sq ft or another bedroom or bath depending on comps

2 hours ago, Jo_Ann said:

A visual look at the clerestory window design,  with ceiling removed, and a truss exposed.

image.thumb.png.fad5b6b184aaa93f12ca0ec06098550a.png

Existing trusses only reach to line B on my post if that's what you are showing.Could pick it up with a flush beam and do your clerestory on the back 8' 
image.thumb.png.66601150062dabd1f74c23f375bbc5ee.png
Unless I am misinterpreting the photos