Roof Definition Issues

Keefers

This one should be a simple one BUT I'm not able to get it managed.  The roof starting from the left outer wall in this case is extending further than my architect wants.  His line drawing is also provided for reference.  I'm not worried about the arcs roof right now.  I'm simply trying to be sure that the roof stops at the correct point.  It is suppose stop at that interior wall that can be seen in the 2nd window.  That would mean that there would a be short exterior wall at the roof line going straight down.  I have specified the left exterior wall as a high shed wall and rotated through the other options for the other wall but nothing changes where the roof ends.  It continues through to the next wall.  The roof line, to the right, is suppose to go from front to back as another high shed wall.  This part works and it stops where I've told it to stop.  A secondary issue happens with the backside of the second high shed wall.  It doesn't draw.  Zippo no wall.  In short 2 issues.

1. First roof does not stop where we need it to
  2. Backside of 2nd roof doesn't include the extended external wall.

Screenshot 2023-10-29 at 4.18.51 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-10-29 at 4.20.35 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-10-29 at 4.34.05 AM.png

I assume that you have Home Designer Pro, so what you can do is to manually edit the roof planes and wall polylines to get close to your desired look. There are tools in Pro sufficient to get this done but ONLY you and your persistence and competence will cause it to happen.

DJP

5 hours ago, Keefers said:

I'm not worried about the arcs roof right now.

You do understand none of the Home Designer products do curved roofs (except for a curved roof dormer). You can fake them with Pro, but it's tedious.

And as David mentioned, with Pro, just learn the manual roof tools.

@solver

For now I'm trying to just get all the angles and directions to work for the roof.  Not trying to do any customization until I get the basics covered.  Directions, angles etc.  As soon as I start the customization work the application gives up on maintaining the roof.  So same two questions apply.

1. First roof does not stop where we need it to
  2. Backside of 2nd roof doesn't include the extended external wall.

kk, I provided an Example.plan file which works if I change the ceiling height in Bedroom 1 high enough which forces the application to behave like my architect wants.  I cannot get this to work in my plan.  Maybe because the upper level sits on top of Bedroom 1.  Changing the ceiling height of Bedroom 1 (in my plan) destroys the room in the upper level.  Also HDPro stops drawing the outer wall (on the roof) in some conditions such making the roof for Bedroom 2 match the bump out in the bathroom.  Also the roof heights don't match between the bathroom and Bedroom 2.  In my real plan I've created an invisible wall 1/2 way through bedroom so it's not on top of the section that needs to move but the forward section will no longer raise it's ceiling.

Example.plan

@solver@DavidJPotter

OK, I've figured out some of this.  1) You have to break many more walls and have to create more invisible walls than I expected.  2) Certain features cause HDPro to turn off Auto Rebuild Roofs and build roof plains.  If I turn those features back on I get the changes I've requested.  Unfortunately, I haven't figured out everything.  The enclosed 'better' example file shows the issues. 

• The roof above the bump out is higher
  • Outer walls are missing or do not have there outer cladding
    • One inner wall (left most room) does not have sheet rock.

Thanks!!

Example Little Better.plan