Where to find tutorial for Make Parallel/ Perpandicular Tools, etc.

BoDay1

I'm so grateful to the folks that take the time to help with questions on this forum and I hate to ask questions that seem too simple but I can't find a tutorial to help me deal with those basic tools that deal with aligning and moving objects.

For instance I simply want to make 6 different text boxes all line up nicely with each other.... or a bunch of can lights all line up.

Can someone point me in the right direction to find tutorials for these tools?

Tool Bar.jpg

Hi @BoDay1, it might be a little different in your HDP24, but in my HPD16 when I put the mouse over those tools, text appears below them explaining how to use them. If it doesn't in yours, maybe there is an option to turn that on somewhere?

In any case, for the example of lining up lights, you could place the first one, then select it, and then use the the Transform/Replicate tool to make copies in the desired direction and spacing.

Alternatively, you could place a bunch of them manually and then use the Center Object tool to align each of them. So you pick one to be aligned, select the Center Object tool, and then you mouse over a second one that you want to align with. A small indicator will show either a vertical or a horizontal reference line depending on where you move the mouse pointer, and this indicates which way the alignment will occur. Move the mouse to get the one you want and then click and it will align the first object to the second object. You will have to repeat this for each light, which is why the Transform/Replicate tool might be easier.

I don't think the Parallel/Perpendicular tool would be useful for the lights example, better for something like walls or other objects. You simply click the object to be adjusted, then click the Para/Perp tool, then click the second object to be used as a reference. It uses a "smallest angle" method to adjust the first object to be either parallel or perpendicular to the second object, depending on which is the smaller adjustment.

I don't use text boxes so hopefully someone else can cover that. The Center Object tool works somewhat, but it seems to align only the *centre* of the text box with the mouse reference line on the second text box. I couldn't get it to align left edges or bottom edges, for example. But that's probably just me (or my 2016 version).

Hope that helps, cheers!

The Make Parallel/Perpendicular tool is rather simplistic. If the two objects are closer to parallel than perpendicular, it makes them parallel, and similar for perpendicular. Only when they are exactly 45 degrees apart do you have the choice of parallel or perpendicular.

Experiment with CAD lines to see how it works.

There are no dedicated alignment tools.

I use these 3 commands /buttons a lot:  

See screen shot attached:

#1 is the PERP or PARALLEL button.

Select object you want to rotate to be Perp or Parall  and then click on #1 button.

You then find object you want to align it TOO and depending on how you move your mouse you will see and AXIS line to denote how it will roatte it when you click again.

so by moving mouse  little you can get PERP or PAR.

#2 is CENTERED.

Similar procedure but it will aalign object to be centered with what you select the mouse with - it does show you axis it will center on since it gives everything 2 axis in plan view (X and Y)

#3 is Mirror.

SO it mirros object based on same thing what object you hover over and the axis line it shows.

I suggest playing with each as these 3 are probably the 3 best commands they have for placing objects ina plan.

DO note though for some reason ELECTRICAL items do not like these 3 commands and still difficult to align pot lights.

Best way for pot lights is to draw lines where you want them to be and located them on the line.

For spacing on this line again draw cross lines so you create intersections for location

This brings up a Suggestion to HD software coders:

everything but electric brings up temp dims to help locate them by edges why not LIGHTS? let me locate the CENTER of the light so I can locate Junction boxes

currently have to be done by inserting manual dims and then it is a pain - like no one likes the electrician.

Screenshot 2023-10-07 035543.png

3 hours ago, y-g-m-n said:

DO note though for some reason ELECTRICAL items do not like these 3 commands and still difficult to align pot lights.

Best way for pot lights is to draw lines where you want them to be and located them on the line.

For spacing on this line again draw cross lines so you create intersections for location

Hi @y-g-m-n can you give some specific examples of electrical items that do not work with these tools? And why pot lights are difficult? Asking because the suggestions I gave above all work okay for me (in HDP16). Pot lights align ok with the Center Object tool (tho I suggest the Transform/Replicate tool might be faster for many lights). And track lights align okay using the Parallel/Perpendicular tool (and also the Mirror tool).

Thank you for that help.

I think I had misunderstood the Make Parallel/ Perpendicular tool and I couldn't seem to get it to do much.. I was trying to use it to make things ALIGN.

After your help I see that it is the least useful for aligning object and these other tools, particularly the center tool, seem to be much more intuitive.

Thank you,

Bo

I didnt mean they do not work with those tools they just do not work well if our light is not symmetrical.

have a pot light?

click it do you get any temp dims to locate it from a wall or something?

Or from then next pot light in say a row?

Hey tel me how far is that pot light from the side wall and end wall?

Have to use tape measure as selecting it does not show any temp dims.

So in your case you had to locate the first before you can use the replicate thingy.

example: 

see attached ceiling light I selected and no temp dims to locate so yeah I have to center it with room and all.

2nd pic is of a landscape SEASIDE PATH LIGHT that has been selected no temp dims and the center point is the center of OA width which is worthless since should b center of spike or light bulb something when installing you can measure or check and means something.

So centering etc are based on this center point which is not easy to find in real life due to light.

Heck temp dims to edges would suffice but now with electrical stuff..

I can locate everything else in the library (that I have played with which is a bunch) except electrical things require you to add manual dims.

Light switch try to locate 4" from a door what a PIA as thing jumps around goes to other side of wall sometimes just real messy versus other objects that are on walls.

Dimensioning outlets and switches is a pain

not on mine I have to bust out the tape measure.

I have tried the replicate thing and I guess I am too use to AUTOCAD and Solidworks and I mess it all up and takes me too long to figure out each time I want to use it.

Same thing with OFFSET (offset should just be a command and not some weird way it is in HD

so I just draw poly lines where I want lights and such and then insert and locate centers on the cross points.

Or I will insert Ceiling J-Boxes at these points so I can change lights out easy enough and keep their locating point.

Screenshot 2023-10-07 091855.png

Screenshot 2023-10-07 092042.png