Importing a DWG file and converting CAD to walls

Janetcrouch

Hello! I know I have a lot of questions, but I guess that's because my business has taken off! It's crazy! Anyway, I was sent a couple of DWG files by a client. I am drawing a remodel of her house and she has already had someone draw an as-built plan. I was able to import the file following the instructions, but I don't have a "convert CAD to walls" option. I'm assuming that is on the Premier version, but not the Home Designer PRO version. Any suggestions for any easy way to do this with my PRO 2024 version? I saw something about drawing over it, I'm just not sure how I would then delete the imported part easily. Can I delete an entire floor? The house is all one story. Could I build a second story and then turn on the reference so I can see the first floor and draw over it? Then delete the 1st floor? Are there any better suggestions? I'm not even sure that will work. I just thought of it. 

I attached the file. It might be too big. I've never attached an entire file before. Sorry if I did it wrong. As you can tell, I am self taught in this program. I've done lots of plans, but I'm no architect or engineer. I love learning how to use the program more efficiently though and it's easier to remember the more I use it. 

Imported file for Fisher.plan

1 hour ago, Janetcrouch said:

I'm assuming that is on the Premier version

Yes, that is correct.

1 hour ago, Janetcrouch said:

Could I build a second story and then turn on the reference so I can see the first floor and draw over it?

No sorry.

The reason Pro costs what it does is because of all the ability taken out from Premier. Pro is quite functional and able but you have a lot of missing ability and speed of action from Premier; that is due to the greater ability and speed available with Premier.

DJP

Thank you for the help. At least I have something to go off of. I can open another window and have something to go off of, I guess. The Premier is way more technology than what I could handle. I obviously can't even do everything with what I have, but it usually works well for what I need. This will just take me a bit more time than it would with the Premier, but at least I don't have to go and measure the whole house!

You should be able to send the .plan file that importing it creates to a layout sheet. From there, print it as a PDF and save on the desktop, then import the PDF into a new plan file, verify the scale,  and then trace over the walls, etc. Then you can delete the PDF from the plan file. Or just move it along the X axis a bunch of inches so it's not visible when you go to print your plan file, yet then you don't lose the alignments should you need to change something later..

IF you draw based on dims from CAD file you canbe sure it is somewhat accurate.

OTherwisse any errors original person made you carry over into new project. NOt sure I would trust someone I donot know nor watched do the work.

This is the engineer in me - you can trust but VERIFY