Merging files? Building onto terrain

getuplifted

Ok, new here, go easy :)

I've had a bit of a hard time with creating a decent representation of the properties terrain from importing dwg and xyz data. So, I ended up overlaying features, terrain splines, lines, regions and points to more suitably represent my sloped lot with numerous existing retaining walls.

I have to create stepped foundations, so I felt working to a realistic sloped plot footprint was best. The building addition and alterations will have to be defined to the sloped lot also.,

Anyway, I finally have a decent terrain perimeter that's rendering well enough.

However, I have my "as built" building on another file with a poor attempt at the terrain, as well as another as built building file with zero terrain.

Can I combine these two files to put my "as built house" onto the "decent terrain" only file?

I have tried the export dwg "all floors" and imported these into the terrain file. However this just gives me CAD blocks, not editable walls like in the "as built" file.

Any suggestions welcome? Hopefully I'm missing something simple and don't have to build the house all over again.

Thanks in advance

Jonny

HDPro23

I think the safest thing you should do is to delete the terrain in your as built .plan file and then duplicate your successful actions you implemented in the successful terrain .plan file. I there is no "easy" way to do this, the easy way is the way that confidently gets a useful product at the end. I prefer to import the topo information from AutoCAD or an image file that I have scaled and then trace over such files using Home Designer topo line objects that I program myself.

DJP

Jonny,  welcome to the forum!  Here are the steps I would use:

1.       Open both files

2.       In the as-built file with your house

• a.       use the tool Edit Area (All Floors), drawing a marque around the outer edges of the as-built, then
  • b.       use the copy tool in the lower edit menu

3.       in the terrain file

• a.       be sure to have all your floor levels created – foundation, second, etc. – and they are empty (no walls, etc)
  • b.       set the floor heights to the same as your as-built – e.g., 8’, 10’ ceilings
  • c.       use the paste tool and then move the as-built around on your terrain
  • d.       it’s best to move the house and not the terrain

Hope this helps!

2023-01-02 06_05_49-Home Designer Pro 2023.png

• 1 month later...

I have a similar question but it has to do with either re-orientating the terrain file so that when I import the house plan it is oriented on the terrain how I want it.  Not sure if it is best to orient the terrain file so that the house.plan can remain orthogonal or not.  Or is there tools for setting this alignment I just have not come across?