Changing the automatic framing to match local codes?

lpburke86

Go to solution Solved by solver,

I live in an area where we have windstorm codes to build to. The automatic framing does pretty well with most of it, but where I am at California corners, t wall nailer boards and ceiling joists that don't attach to the rafters are a no-go. We have to use full 4 stud corners (5 on 2x6 walls) and 3 stud t-boxes on all exterior wall intersections. How do I change these things? Preferably in the automatic framing defaults, but if not a manual solution would work....

Also, how do I do an all wood pier and beam foundation?

This software tool does what it does or does not do based upon the  skill,  knowledge and control of the end user. Most framing can be controlled first by the  Default Settings found under the Structure Category by floor. The Wall Type one uses determines the size of wall studs. Most foundation types can have their parameter beams created automatically built based on Default Settings - Foundation. Grade beams must be placed manually, the  same is true for pier and beam type foundations, they are laid out manually using the provided tools.

See this webpage on the Home Designer Website for more useful data, please.

DJP

4 hours ago, DavidJPotter said:

See this webpage on the Home Designer Website for more useful data, please.

I have looked at that web page. The foundations video tells me I only have a choice between a slab, a basement and walls with footings…. As I am sure you know, being from Austin, down here on the coast of Texas we never use 2 of those options, and a 9 foot tall solid slab would be cost prohibitive…. So again… how do I do a wood pair and beam foundation?

14 hours ago, solver said:

Have you looked at your Framing Defaults? That's where you will find things you can change.

Corner.png.3907a0d1f80a5bf896f7ebc12b2ed0be.png

I looked there, and sort of found what I was looking for. Basically the issue is that the standard corner that is in thius corner detail is *close* to what I need... But where i put the x in the middle, I need another full stud. On a 2x6 wall, I would need 2 full studs there.

The other issue is that if you look at this picture, one of the wall is close, while the other end is entirely different. 491035528_Screenshot2022-08-15005238.thumb.png.3414ec7b2956f11544e0c1c811e3bd8c.png

• Solution
14 minutes ago, lpburke86 said:

So again… how do I do a wood pair and beam foundation?

Please keep in mind that the people helping here are all volunteers. It's not our job to solve your problems. 

David said: "for pier and beam type foundations, they are laid out manually using the provided tools".

To be clear, the program will not automatically build a complete pier and beam foundation. It will build some of it, but you will need to place piers and beams and proper footings manually.

Here is another link to some info that may get you started. https://www.homedesignersoftware.com/search/?default_tab=all&q=pier

12 hours ago, solver said:

Do you really need to show that level of detail in your plan?

No, not that specifically... But there are several other things that are missing in the framing that can cause issue with placement of fixtures, electrical and plumbing. I chose the corners because I figured it would get me headed in the direction to fix all the other things. I don't expect a bunch of people who have never had to deal with windstorm codes to automatically set up things that way we have to have them down here. 

Please keep in mind that the people helping here are all volunteers. It's not our job to solve your problems.

Apologies for expecting the guy whos signature says "Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, [...} Problem Solver" to provide a better answer than basically "If you dont already have the skill, you cant"

• Upvote 1