Winder stairs with stingers

Trick63

I am looking into using HD to make my life easier.

Is it possible to make these kind of stairs?

I am trying to make the winders by making landings between the stair parts, but I don't see an option for the stingers at the landing stairs (especially the outer one) to connect.

L-stair-winder-stinger.jpg

17 minutes ago, Trick63 said:

an option for the stingers

That's stringers, not stingers :)

18 minutes ago, Trick63 said:

I am looking into using HD to make my life easier.

There are 3 titles in the Home Designer line, Suite, Architectural and Pro. It's important to say which one you are using as the more expensive ones do more.

Hi all,

Thanks for the pointers.

I have downloaded trials for Home Designer Pro and Chief Architect. So I guess that these are the programs with the most features.

I know how to make the steps for winder stairs, but the problem is the stringboards. WIth a lot of winder stairs these boards are curved and that is what costs me a lot of time. I have been doing these kind of stairs by hand in FormZ since a lot (about 30!) years. But in the last few months I have been drawing way too many of them, and a lot of them with different sizes. So I would love to have a tool that automates the 3D drawing of complete stairs.

In both Chief Architect and Home Designer I can see that the stairs have a stringers option, but not with the landings.

Attached an image how the stringboards look like in plan view when done right.

L-stair-winder-stringboards.jpg

BTW: above image is from Boole's Stairdesigner. It's the best tool for drawing stairs. But I am not going to spend $2,5K JUST for that.

7 hours ago, Trick63 said:

Attached an image how the stringboards look like in plan view when done right.

L-stair-winder-stringboards.jpg

That looks like an elevation rather than plan view, and I'm guessing it shows the stairs unwound around the corner.

You won't get that from this software or Chief.

The stair tools, and in general, much of the program, are not designed to generate construction drawings (although they may be done manually). As an example, the riser on a stair is only as face -- it has no thickness.

As for your question about stringers, what you show is fairly simple to do, at least in Chief.

Thanks for the reply.

The attached (elevation) image was just to show how and why the stringboard is curved. I don't need the construction drawings. I just need a program that automates the whole stairdrawing. Drawing the stringboard manually is what I have been doing all this time in FormZ until now and I guess this is just as easy in Chief or HD. But this is not what I am looking for. (PS: sorry if I use wrong terms...I am Dutch;)). Below a render from Stairdesigner where it takes a few seconds to make a stair.

L-stair-winder-StairDesigner.jpg