Intersecting Gable Roofs

Erichk1

Good Morning,

I am using Home Designer Pro 2021 for MAC. I am working on a roof on a 1 1/2 story house that has four intersecting gables. Two of the gables have a different pitch. The problem is that when I create the roof, (with roof planes) the gable fascia and the eave fascia show up on both sides of the gable---i.e. on the interior. Is there a way to remove the fascia on just one side?

Erich Kaiser

Home Design Pro 2021 for MAC

Sorry it took so long for me to get back to this. Life got in the way.

I have attached a zipped copy of my plan. I can not figure out why the roof controls are not working for me. The roof remains incomplete..and by that I mean, all of the sections are there and in place, but they have not all been joined to the intersecting planes.  Every time I try, it fails. I can not get the gables (planes) to match up properly. The "interior" portions of the gables are still showing fascia on the interior of the plan. One fascia has shot through the first floor into the "piano" room (I am really confused about that). Two sections of fascia have poked through the living room ceiling along the "piano" room wall. In the second floor "Hall" you can clearly see what I am talking about as all of the gables, or roof planes, connect above it and all of the fascia's are showing on the interior. I have moved all of the roof planes to the "attic" level for ease of seeing them. The other flat roof portions on the first floor I have left in place and am having less trouble with those. This is mind-numbing. I have a feeling it is something very simple, but I have been struggling with it for over about 10 days now. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

House copy.plan.zip

Thank you so much for your instruction and insight. The second floor ceiling where you thought there might be a sky-light is just flat ceiling. And as for that little wall at the apex of the highest roof (at the intersection of all the gables) that I will add in the attic story as you did and just adjust as needed.

As I said in my note, for some reason, I can not seem to just click and join the roof planes like you do. Maybe I am doing it wrong. 

Thanks again! I look forward to implementing some of the ideas you gave me...

BTW, the house is nowhere...it is just an original design of mine that I have been working on for many years. 

Just now, Erichk1 said:

you have a button to "turn off patterns" on you system

Look under the 3D menu.

You can customize your toolbars and place buttons like this where you want.

15 minutes ago, Erichk1 said:

for some reason, I can not seem to just click and join the roof planes like you do.

I've never known of that not working, but it must be done. 

Have you tried auto building the roof? It won't build correctly, but should be a good start.

17 minutes ago, Erichk1 said:

The second floor ceiling where you thought there might be a sky-light is just flat ceiling.

That's the sort of thing that needs to be fixed. Get as much of the model correct as you can, then work on any problems. Generally, the cleaner the model, the fewer problems, and you can spend lots of time trying to fix something that the software will correct once all the pieces are in place.