Story and a half with dormers

socmat23

How would I go about making this roofline? I have tried it with setting the ceiling heights to 0", but the issue I am having is the returns only go as far as the exterior wall returns, and I end up with no exterior wall at the upper gable. Also, when I try to make the dormers it will not let me put them on the edge of the house. The other issue I was having is that the upper shed dormer is outside the footprint of the front door below. I would appreciate any help someone can give.

Thanks 

14679RK_TN_051_1599169413.jpg

The not very helpful answer is to learn to use the roof tools. Not difficult, but will take study and practice.

I don't see any dormers, so maybe start by rethinking your approach to the roof. Look at it like it's a first floor that just happens to be sitting on top of another structure.

And your file did not correctly attach. Close Pro, then attach it just like you did the image.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, socmat23 said:

I don't look at the bump-outs as dormers I'm not sure how I would look at them?

2 hours ago, solver said:

Look at it like it's a first floor that just happens to be sitting on top of another structure.

Take away the 1st floor. How would you model a house that looks like your 2nd floor?

Looking at it that way I guess I would build the center section (in-between each larger gable) with exterior walls, ignoring the farthest ends, ad in-wall breaks towards the end to prevent the valleys from coming all the way to the corners of the bump-outs, and then try and do a shed roof on the section in the middle?

Jo_Ann,

That happened when I deleted all of the interior walls I had already created to put the simplest file on this forum to address the roof issue, and I'm guessing it has no bearing on how to break the roof up as shown in the picture. so if you have any input on that, that would be great.

Thanks